Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Ammo for .308??

Old 10-17-2006, 05:05 PM

Default Ammo for .308??

I know there a a LOT of VERY knowledgeable people on this forum and I need your assistance. A little background, I just purchased a new Savage in .308 with the Accutrigger of course. I hunt in North Central Texas-whitetail first and foremost. I will also use this rifle to take out the occassional hog, coyote, or whatever else crosses my path and I do currently have a couple of hogs in the 300-350lb class, but once again-whitetail are my primary target. Most of my shots are probably from 0-200 yards, but in extreme situations could reach out to 300.

Up till now I've always shot a .270, so kind of new to the choices, weights, and so on of .308 ammo. I am also well aware that every gun has it's own favorite ammo and I will soon be working on that. I do NOT reload my own, but am currently looking at the Hornady Interbond, Winchester XP3, Federal Nosler Partition, or even the Black Hills with the Barnes X-Bullet. I'm actually still open to any and all opinions-I'mREAL big on accuracy (got to hit it first) and bullet performance right behind that. I would even consider bulk ammo(for price savings) if someone here couldgive me data showing that it will performjust fine for my situation.

One more for the road, someone told me the XP3 by Winchester is actually an Accubond bullet with a lubalox coating?? Any truth to that??

Thanx again for your time and opinions!
Old 10-17-2006, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ammo for .308??

I've had incredible accuracy just from the regular Federal 150 gr. nosler, Federal Gold Medal Match 168 gr.and the Federal High Energy 180 gr. Nosler.

But that may just be my gun. It seems to shoot sub 1/2 MOA with just about anything but military surplus. I can't tell you what your gun will like best but I can point you toward the front runners.

The front runners in terms of performance are the Hornady Light Magnum SST series. They haul ass at 3000 fps and are probably the flattest shooters.

Federal has several good loads. My particular favorite being the Federal High Energy 180 gr. Nosler. Other top choices would be the Federal 180 gr. Barnes MRX.

It all depends on whether you want velocity or retained energy. They all shoot about the same in terms of bullet drop. They are all pretty close on velocity and retained energy also, that is except for the Hornady SST, they are in a class by themselves.

I don't know about the Remington and Winchester offerings but I doubt they come close to the Hornady or the Federal High Energy.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:31 AM
Typical Buck

Brutal, just out of curiosity, what kind of rifle are you shooting?
Old 10-18-2006, 11:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't have direct experience with a .308 hunting rifle. But, you should try a few different loads to see what your rifle likes. My 700 ADL .30-06 shoots 1 inch groups with 150 gr. Winchester Super-X Power Points. My 700 ADL .243 shoots sub 1 inch groups wtih 100 gr. Remington Express Core Lokt's. For deer, you don't really NEED the more expensive premium bullets. Big hogs, maybe. But, if it were me, I'd pick up a box of Super X 150's, and a box of Rem Express 150's and see what the rifle likes.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:40 PM

I hunted with a .308 for a number of years and still do once in a while. (I do still shoot them a lot though) My do it all round was the 165gr partition. Everything from whitetails to elk and moose fell to that bullet with no problems.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Garminator

Brutal, just out of curiosity, what kind of rifle are you shooting?
One of these: http://www.remingtonle.com/rifles/700pltr.htm

Greatest rifle in current production....period. If you research it you will see that many others are getting the same results from factory ammo.

Old 10-18-2006, 01:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

OMG!!! A SNIPER RIFLE!!! THE HORROR!!! THE HORROR!!!

[/sarcasm]

That's a sweet rifle. How much does it weigh?
Old 10-18-2006, 01:43 PM
Fork Horn

I hunted with my .308 and have killed a few deer with it. My rifle (Rem 760) really liked the 150 gr PMC SP. I might want to move up to a like a 165 or something for the hogs. PMC and black hills both seem to have the best accuracy for the cheaper factory loads. I think the ballistic tip type bullets are too quick to open and would not suggest them for the hogs or even deer. The AccuBonds seem not like to open on the thinner skinned game like deer. A good old fashioned soft point is my suggestion. Or if you want to spend the money, get the TSX's. The Barnes "X" bullets are notorious for extreme accuracy. I would go with the TSX or regular soft points. Just my suggestion.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

OMG!!! A SNIPER RIFLE!!! THE HORROR!!! THE HORROR!!!

[/sarcasm]

That's a sweet rifle. How much does it weigh?
8.9 lbs with a Leupold Mark 4 tactical

Not bad for a gun capable of accuracy better than that of a 12 lb bench rest gun

Old 10-18-2006, 07:41 PM

Had a remington 700 .308 and it seemed to like the 150 grain loads best. Great all purpose round, the handloaded 150 grain ballistic tips are tack drivers.

Quick Reply: Ammo for .308??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.