Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 T/C Encore Pro Hunter VS. Ruger No.1 >

T/C Encore Pro Hunter VS. Ruger No.1

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

T/C Encore Pro Hunter VS. Ruger No.1

Old 05-26-2009, 05:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default T/C Encore Pro Hunter VS. Ruger No.1

Ok. I'm a frustrated left handed shooter....

The rifles I like just don't seem to either be made in a lefty version or they're only made once a year and there's none to be found anywhere.

So.....I'm at the point of trying to get a Remington CDL and doing some customizing along the road or........
Going to an ambidextrous rifle like a single shot. This will be a hunting rifle, but I enjoy shooting year round.

So, if I don't go with the CDL, I'd like to hear from the Ruger no. 1 and T/C Encore Pro Hunter users as to how they compair in

Accuracy
Strength of action
If anyone bumps the lever that opens the breach while carrying it

I've handled both the T/C and the Ruger and they both fit/feel really good.

Also, if y'all think I should just stay with the Remington bolt gun.

I currently have ZERO big game hunting rifles, so this needs to be as good of an "all around" rifle as possible.
I'm thinking of a .30-06, 7mm Rem. Mag, or a .300 Win. Mag for the caliber.

Ok. Let the opinions fly
Old 05-27-2009, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: T/C Encore Pro Hunter VS. Ruger No.1

You couldnt go wrong witht hat Ruger #1...super di duper accurate gun!

But then again the encore has interchangeable barrels which can be kinda nice.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Ruger #1 would be my definite choice. The falling block action is super strong and the fit and finish is just plain good. Sometimes the triggers need a little tweaking, but NBD. Mine is a 1B in .270. The felt recoil is negligible, and it's very accurate. It's a pleasure to shoot.

I just acquired a NIB never fired 700 ADL Remmy .243 (from a friend in trade) and I must say it's not impressive at all. It will be heading to the LGS soon to be traded on something better.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

The TC Encore and the Ruger #1 are both fine rifles. It is a toss up as to which is more accurate out of the box. I have had a bit better luck with the Encore in the accuracy department. However both rifles are plagued by the forearm problem. But then that is the nature of the beast.

Both are also plagues with the "lawyer Trigger". However IMO the Encore trigger is easier to remedy than the Ruger.

Personally I think the Pro Hunter is overpriced. IMO the standard Encore is more than adequate. And I can buy a standard frame and a custom MGM barrel for less than the cost of the Pro Hunter. That is the way I would go before I bought a Pro Hunter.

There is also a very comfortable LH stock available for the Encore. I have a couple of them. And they make the Encore the most comfortable rifle I have ever handled. And I have handled a lot of them. Tom.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:24 PM
Fork Horn

In my opinion the # 1 is a far classier, and elegant rifle, the TC doesn't like quite as good, but is a "working rifle".

You can't go wrong with either.