Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 What's the best semi auto 12 guage? >

What's the best semi auto 12 guage?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What's the best semi auto 12 guage?

Old 05-01-2009, 04:53 PM
MagnumMan308

Default RE: What's the best semi auto 12 guage?

I've got a Browning Gold Hunter 3.5" that I love. It cycles everything down to 1oz, and most importantly, I can hit birds and clays in flight with it. Find a shotgun that you can shoot well, and has the features you want, and forget the brand-name or model number, just make sure you can shoot it. I've owned a good number of very nice shotguns that I begrudgingly sold because I couldn't shoot them well, including a Auto-5 light 12 that I bought NOS, I could have balled when I traded that gun, but I couldn't hit beans with it. A shotgun you can't shoot well is worthless.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:09 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: driftrider

The best semi-auto shotgun that won't break the bank is most definitely the Stoeger 2000. Same action as the Benelli SBE (only in 3"), at 1/3 the price with excellent quality. My Stoeger eats anything I feed it reliably, it patterns pretty good, it's lightweight, it points and swings just fine, came with 5 chokes (Cyl, IC, Mod, Full and XF turkey), and I didn't have to take out a second mortgage to afford it. What's not to like?

Mike

I personally know of three people that had their M 2000 crap out on them in the field. The rails that the bolt ride on crack and fail. Bolts come apart. And the camo finish wears off. Spend the money and get a better shotgun.

IE Super Black Eagle, Browning Gold, Winchester SX3, Remington 11-87
Old 05-01-2009, 08:15 PM
Fork Horn

IMO Benelli, Beretta, Winchester, Browning and Remington all make a quality shotgun. I handeled them all and wouldn't mind owning one of each of them. I really did like them all, but I finally went withthe Benelli SBII. It has 28" barel and I use it for waterfowl, turkey and pheasant hunting. This gun is very durable and is easyto clean. In my case its worth every dollar I paid for it.

Handel as many guns as you can. Buy the one that feels the best and has the features that you want and need for a price that you are willing to pay. Good Luck and keep us posted.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:00 PM
Spike

When you look at guns which have been successful in the market place for a number of years, it is hard to pick out one as the best. I have a Remington and Benelli. The Remington is reserved for deer and turkey. The Benelli, which I like but bought for no good reason (didn't need just wanted it), serves as my back up for deer. turkey, upland bird for which I have a Browning (O/U), and my loaner to a a couple of relatives. Quite frankly both are good guns. The Remington happens to fit me better and I have been successful with it.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:16 PM
Fork Horn

There is no one best auto loader for every use and everyone. If there was, there would only be one model. The truth is that there may be several models that could work equally well for yourself.

For you intended use, a 3" model would more than likely be a better choice. Most 3" models are better for all around use over most 3 1/2" models.

Here are some well made and reliable models worth consideration and might be right for you.

Benelli M2/M1 is Inertia operated. They are light in weight and very easy to clean. The have an automatic magazine cutoff and shims to adjust the stock. It has a good safety shape, size, and location. It holds four shells total and more if you add an extension. Most 3” field Inertia models are not usually the best choice for light target loads. Benelli Cordoba is also Inertia operated. They are similar to the M1/M2 with a few differences. They are thinner thru the forearm and hold five shells total. They do not accept a magazine extension to hold more. They have a two piece receiver which can make cleaning slightly easier. They are better for cycling lighter loads than the M1/M2. They only come in B/S and camo finishes. Their barrels are also ported which ay not be too good for blinds and boats with blinds. Beretta AL391 is gas operated. They are fairly light and have very thin forearms. They have an automatic magazine cutoff, bolt lock back lever, and shims for the stock. It holds four shells total and cannot accept an extension. Their barrels are slightly overbored. This design is more complicated to clean than most. Browning Gold is gas operated. They are fairly light and pretty easy to clean. They have the speed load feature, stock shims, and a magazine cutoff switch. It has a good safety shape, size, and location. They have overbored barrels which tends to pattern non toxic and larger payloads better. It holds five shells and more with an extension. The forearm/receiver junction could be much better than it is. The Evolve, Fusion, and SL models are similar to the standard Gold but are very light in weight and balance with more weight towards the stock.
Beretta 390 (Wal Mart) and 3901 are gas operated. They are basically the same gun with different shaped receivers (390 angled/3901 rounded). They are fairly light in weight, have stock shims, and automatic magazine cutoffs. They each hold four shells and can't accept extensions. They are not too bad to clean. The 390 (Wal Mart) only comes in B/S with a 28" barrel in 12 gauge. Beretta Pintail/ES100 is inertia operated. It's fairly light and has a slim forearm. They are very easy to clean and have an automatic magazine cutoff. It holds five shells and can't be extended. Shims are available for this model. This model does not have a magazine release making the unloading take a tad longer than most. Browning Silver Hunter is gas operated. It has stock shims available for it from the Gold FLD (Classic). They have overbored barrels which tends to pattern non toxic and larger payloads better. It holds five rounds total. It does not have the speed load and magazine cutoff features. It can be tricked into having a magazine cutoff by holding up the carrier and pulling back on the bolt. They have the same gas system as the more expensive Gold’s. Franchi 612 and 712 are gas operated. They are the same except for the receiver shape. They are very easy to clean and light in weight. They have an automatic magazine cutoff's and shims for the stock. They hold five shells and more with an extension. They don't have the best triggers in terms of weight and creep. Franchi I-12 is inertia operated. Weight wise they are about average and balance with more weight towards the stock. It is one of the easiest semi autos to take down for a through cleaning. They hold five rounds and can take an extension. They have shims for the stock, automatic magazine cutoff, and a cartridge release lever. They do have a very modern look and are not the best choice for light target loads. Weatherby SAS is gas operated. It is fairly light in weight and very easy to clean. It has a magazine cutoff switch and shims for the stock. It has a good safety shape, size, and location. It holds five shells and more with an extension. This model was made by SKB first then Valtro for Weatherby. Parts do not interchange between the two. Winchester SX2 is gas operated. It has decent weight and is pretty easy to clean. It has a high rib design. It holds five rounds and more if extended. They have overbored barrels which tends to pattern non toxic and larger payloads better. This is the only model that does not have a magazine cutoff of any kind but, can be tricked into having a magazine cutoff by holding up the carrier and pulling back on the bolt. The Light field model is the same but quite a bit lighter and balances with more weight towards the stock. Winchester SX3 is the same as the SX2 with a much lighter weight, thinner forearm, stock shims, and a more modern look.

Try to hold as many as you can with different barrel lengths and pick the one you like the best.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:15 AM

I have an 1100 and an 870.I've had the 1100 since I was 17.I'm now 51.I've never had a jam,and with Winchester 3 inch mag # 1 buckshot it is a deer killing machine.