Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 What's the best semi auto 12 guage? >

What's the best semi auto 12 guage?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What's the best semi auto 12 guage?

Old 04-30-2009, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What's the best semi auto 12 guage?

I've got in my mind that I want to get a semi auto 12 gauge before hunting season. I kind of doubt it will happen due to funds but if I run across one I like for a price I like I will more than likely get it.

What are the best ones to look at? I plan to use it for deer with buckshot. It will not be used to shoot slugs at least not at this time.

I want it to be semi auto. It would be a really nice plus if it could shoot 3.5" shells. I'd really like to shoot 3.5" shells but 3" would work if I had to have one that would only shoot them. I'd like for it to have a 28" or 30" barrel preferably with screw in chokes so I can change them. If not has to have a full choke. Wood stock is a nice plus but the synthetic is growing on me so either one of those is fine. I'd also like it to be reliable. I do not like jams so I want them as little as possible.

The biggest ones I've looked at are the Browning Gold, Benelli Super Black Eagle II, and the Remington 11-87. The price on the Remington is pretty good but most other Remington things I've had in the past have greatly let me down when it comes to quality. So I'm hesitant to buy another Remington. A hunting buddy has one also and his jams fairly often. It didn't for a while but started this year to where it was shaving part of the shell off going in then jamming. He thought he was going to have to get it worked on but it started working right so we think maybe it was the shells. His just jams every so often. Not a ton but more often than I'd like. It does shoot good though and looks and feels nice.

Which ones do you guys recommend and what should I expect to spend for them?
Old 04-30-2009, 09:47 AM
Spike

Default RE: What's the best semi auto 12 guage?

I really like my Winchester SX3. I use it for turkeys, pheasants, rabbit, quail, & even a couple times coyote hunting. Light weight, but handles recoil nicely. I have the mossy oak synthetic in 3.5". Biggest thing for me is fit & I've never shot a shotgun so well - all because of how this one fits me! I believe they are around $1000 - best gun purchase I've ever made.

You could also look at Tristar. I don't know too much about them other than we gave one away at a NWTF banquet. Our dealer says he likes them & hasn't had any come back with problems. They may only be 3" though, not sure. Best thing about them is price - I think they are only around $400 new!

Anyway, my 2 cents...
Old 04-30-2009, 10:11 AM
Fork Horn

I like the Remington 1187. The original Remington 1100 used to jam from time to time but since they introduced the 870 action and made the 1187, I love it.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:03 PM

1 vote for my Beretta Extrema II.....but the SX3 is a good one as well.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Benelli's are extremly good shotguns. There lock time is super fast. I goose hunt with mine here in the rice fields of Arkansas,drag them through the mud, they seem to shoot every time.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:07 PM
Fork Horn

The three most important things in a shotgun are fit, fit, and fit.

I like the Beretta AL391 Urika, which has a 3" action.

The main reason is that they fit me better than any other shotgun on the market. They have a 14.5" length of pull (which is longer than most guns from Remington, Browning, Benelli, etc..), and the stocks are adjustable for drop and cast, which is a great benefit. They are very light weight, have very soft recoil, and are very easy to take down and clean. I have thousands and thousands of rounds through mine, and it's still going strong. I shoot skeet, trap, sporting clays, ducks, geese, turkey, upland, and deer slugs with mine. I cycle 7/8 oz. 12 guage loads with my 391 with no problem -- not all semi's will do that.

I have yet to find a need for a 3.5" shotgun -- now that's just my experience and opinion. I bought a Browning Gold 3.5" and had nothing but problems with it -- sold it after duck hunting in Arkansas. Got rid of it and bought the 3" Urika, and have never looked back.

Again, get the gun that fits, and if the one you like does not fit, pay to adjust it.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

I never owned one but from what I have heard, the Benelli is very good.

But like wolverine said fit is most important. It doesn't matter if you have the best shotgun in the world, if it doesn't fit you, you will have a hard time hitting anything.

Case in point, I don't know what it is with my physic but every high end production SxS shotgun I have ever shouldered fit me terribly. Yet the el cheapos fit me like a glove.And for hunting, I rather have a $300 dollar shotgun I can shoot than a $3000 one that I miss with.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

As Wolverine72 mentioned.... FIT and FEEL, says it all.

I have temporarily retired my Browning O/U for 3 years running, since buying my Benelli SBE, that's how good this gun fits me.

I primarily bought the SBE for waterfowl/deer hunting and since buying it I have not gone out once for this game.
I now use the SBE for upland game/woodcock and maybe someday will come across a used rifled barrel for deer.
Maybe someday I'll spend less time Archery hunting and have time to Waterfowl hunt...

It's all about the fit...

Old 05-01-2009, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

The best semi-auto shotgun that won't break the bank is most definitely the Stoeger 2000. Same action as the Benelli SBE (only in 3"), at 1/3 the price with excellent quality. My Stoeger eats anything I feed it reliably, it patterns pretty good, it's lightweight, it points and swings just fine, came with 5 chokes (Cyl, IC, Mod, Full and XF turkey), and I didn't have to take out a second mortgage to afford it. What's not to like?

Mike

Old 05-01-2009, 04:01 PM

+1 for the Benelli SBE 2.
But if funding isn't approved for such a beast, I should look at the Mossberg 935. 3.5" semi-auto. Pistol grip stock, if desired, back bored, camo... the list goes on. Check one out.

Quick Reply: What's the best semi auto 12 guage?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.