Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Remington 700 action screw question >

Remington 700 action screw question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington 700 action screw question

Old 04-11-2009, 02:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Remington 700 action screw question

Is there a sequence for tightening the action screws when reinstalling the 700 action? Rifles in questionare long action BDL's, oneis a laminate stock and the other is a walnut CDL stock.

Also, should the action screws be torqued?
Old 04-11-2009, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Remington 700 action screw question

What I do is run the screws down barely snug, then tighten the recoil lug screw down tight. I would recommend experimenting with the torque a bit to see how it affects the groups. Since all rifles are different, the amount of torque will be slightly different for optimum groups. The wheeler fat wrench is reasonably priced and will measure exact inch pounds.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

What I do is run the screws down barely snug, then tighten the recoil lug screw down tight. I would recommend experimenting with the torque a bit to see how it affects the groups. Since all rifles are different, the amount of torque will be slightly different for optimum groups. The wheeler fat wrench is reasonably priced and will measure exact inch pounds.
..........stalkingbear gives good advice. The Wheeler Fat Wrench is a good tool to have. It measures inINCH pounds which is what you wish to torque to, and has a chart with it for recommended torque for various actions. The Rem. 700 is listed. The wrench is not that expensive, and comes with various sized bits to fit the action screws perfectly. If you are going to do any stock work at all, or just want to be able to check the screws for proper torque, it's hard to beat.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: VAhuntr

Is there a sequence for tightening the action screws when reinstalling the 700 action? Rifles in questionare long action BDL's, oneis a laminate stock and the other is a walnut CDL stock.

Also, should the action screws be torqued?
Tighten thescrew that goes into the receiver ring first, as tight as you can get it without stripping. Then the middle screw, then the tang screw. The center screw needs to be snug, but not gorilla-tight. LIkewise for the tang screw.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wish I had a torque wrench, but since I don't I've found the following procedure works well. Install action in stock ensuring the action is fully seated. Start each screw by hand, then turn with an allen key with very little torque until they just start to snug up. Then hold the rifle vertical (muzzle up), and while holding the action and stock together with one hand, LIGHTLY tap the rifle butt on the ground. This seats the action and recoil lug against the stock. Now, without moving the rifle from the vertical, snug the action screw closest to the muzzle down until finger snug. Then tighten the rear action screw finger snug, followed by the rearmost screw (the one at the rear of the trigger guard). Now tighten the front screw again another 1/8-1/4 turn, followed by the rear action screw the same way.

You don't need an 800 pound gorilla to tighten the screws. Just snug enough so they'll hold the action firmly in place and not back out. I carry a set of allen wrenches in my range bag and check the action screws after the first few shots to make sure they aren't backing out (which they never have) after reassembling the stock and barreled action.

Mike
Old 04-13-2009, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the help guys.

I got your PM Stalkingbear....glad I could help out. For some reason I having trouble sending PM's and posting reply's.