Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Action Screw Stress Problem >

Action Screw Stress Problem

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Action Screw Stress Problem

Old 09-13-2006, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Action Screw Stress Problem

Hi All,

I have aRuger Mark II in 300 WM. It has three action screws. The center screw when tighted (not excessively)will make is such that the magazine plate won't shut. So I believe that the screw isstressing the action. Does this mean that I need fill that void by bedding it?

I've been having problems with groups moving on it. It is the model with the stainless barrel and laminate stock.

Let me know what you guys think on this one.

Tom
Old 09-13-2006, 09:36 PM

Default RE: Action Screw Stress Problem

With the info given it sounds like theres movement. i would like to know if it holds a zero, or do shots wonder. If anything, dont think you could go wrong by having a smith look at it
Old 09-14-2006, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Holds zero and then the shot wanders to another zero. It won't cool down either. So I can only replicate this pattern on different days.

Tom
Old 09-14-2006, 08:41 AM

re stocking it could be an option as opposed ta bedding

early
Old 09-14-2006, 09:01 AM
bigcountry

Well, you answered the question yourself. Any action should sit in a stock uniformly. Any kinda pull or tug, its not bedded correctly. Clearly, there is torquing in this case. Go to brownells and get you an accraglass bedding kit or have a smith do it. When you tighten down the action screws, don't do it very hard. You want the glass to fill the void causing the torque, not push it out. Even better, if you like this rifle, is install pillars.

Old 09-14-2006, 09:07 AM

77's are kind of goofy when it comes to bedding. Great rifles but that forward screw being at an angle can cause problems.
When I bed a 77 I stress the forward and middle screw, and tighten the rear screw just enough to hold the trigger guard in place. This especially helps on the old 77's with tang safeties.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm going to have it bedded by a smith. I was told not to attempt this for the first time on a ruger. I think the smith is only charging $60 anyway.

Should I have the first 1-2" of the barrel channel bedded?

Tom
Old 09-14-2006, 12:15 PM

If you want the barrel floated, and I always suggest it, yes. Get the first inch or two of the barrel bedded. But stop the bedding before the taper starts.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:04 PM

I have read that the order of tightening the screws is important. You should tighten up the front one, tighten up the rear one, and then just tighten the center one enough so it doesnt fall out
Old 09-14-2006, 10:43 PM

I think he needs it bedded at the least, maybe a new stock if theres that much movement. just a thought