Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 good deer bullet? >

good deer bullet?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

good deer bullet?

Old 02-15-2009, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: good deer bullet?

ORIGINAL: savage hunter44

what about federals fusion,i think its abondedbullet. anyone ever shot them at deer or hogs?
This was part of a post from earlier on in this thread that I made

I shot a deer at 150 yards with the Federal Fusion. It was a large doe and it just flopped over. Didn't move at all from where I shot it. It didn't do much damage. Just left a hole about 1" in diameter all the way through the deer but it did flop it over. Someone had shot the deer in the butt already with buckshot. We learned when skinning it. Only 2 or 3 pellets had hit it so they had mostly missed it but they had hit it. Didn't look hurt at all when I shot it but when we skinned it we found the couple pellets and little dried blood from it.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on what your criteria for "good" is...

If dead is the only criteria, and "collateral damage" isn't an issue, then you won't go wrong with any of the inexpensive generic 150-165 grain soft points (Rem Cor-Lok, Win Power Point, Fed Blue Box, etc...). They are the cheapest and they will do the job just fine from a .30-06.

I, personally, plan on going to a stouter bullet with little or no chance of fragmentation next year like the Barnes TSX or the Winchester SX3. The reason is that I don't want to be picking chunks of lead out of my venison hamburger. The 150gr Core-Lok (form my .30-06 at ~125 yards) that I shot my deer with this season literally disintegrated on impact. The hit was a bang-flop, but there were bullet fragments all over the carcass, including many in the near side shoulder. I got most of them out, but found a few little chunks in the hamburger despite the fact that I trimmed all of the visibly bullet damaged meat. I also didn't recover any significant portion of the bullet and it did not exit. The premium ammo with the lead-free or encased lead bullets is a lot more expensive, but if it means my kids won't be biting into and/or ingesting lead bullet frag, it's worth it to me.

Mike
Old 02-16-2009, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have shot numerous deer with the sierra 165gr bthp out of my 06. They are fine bullets for deer size game. Great expansion with complete pass through. I've shot the nosler bt 165gr with very good results as well. I load for both my wife prefers the noslers in her 06 because she thinks there prettier shells lol. The 165gr gives the best velocity and downrange energy for the 30-06 thats why I use it. Also my Remington and her Ruger both love that grain.