Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 good deer bullet? >

good deer bullet?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

good deer bullet?

Old 02-09-2009, 11:20 AM

Default RE: good deer bullet?

idid not thing to say its a 30-06. what about burger bullets anyone ever shoot them?
Old 02-09-2009, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

A 150 or 165gr bullet is more than sufficient for taking down deer sized game. Just find something that shoots good in your rifle, it doesn't have to be a super expensive bullet as long as it shoots well and is meant for hunting. Remington Core-Lokt and Winchester Powerpoints have been killing deer for a long long time. They may not be quite as accurate in all guns, but they are still plenty enough medicine for deer. Also don't count out the blue box Federals either.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:04 AM

have you ever shot a deer or hog with the federal blue box soft point in 30 cal? i might try sierra gameking BTSP i think thay are made for fast expansion. i hear a lot of otherhunters say hornady interbond makes a nice hole a turns guts to mush. what u think?
Old 02-10-2009, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have shot a few of deer with federal blue box sp bullets. My sons 30/30 shoots them very well and the deer cannot tell the difference between them and Hornady interlock bullets. Dead is dead and shot placement means much more than shooting expensive bullets at your target. Now I wouldnt use the blue box stuff on an elk or dangerous game, but deer are not all that hard to kill. The hogs, well thats your call, but I shot one with a Winchester power point, which is on the same level as the Federal blue box stuff and it went down with one shot.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:42 PM

good point i will just use blue box ammo, my gun shoots 1 inch groups withit. i think i might try the sierra gamekingsbtsp to. just got a new 243 for shooting coyotes thay are all over the place!!! might try a noslerballistic tip or core lokt thay are cheeper but i dont know never shot coyotes. have you ever recovered any bullets from your deer?
Old 02-10-2009, 07:02 PM
Typical Buck

I have only recovered one30-06bullet from a deer, and that was a Winchester Silvertip in 150gr. I shot a buck in theshoulder areathat was running up a steep hill some distance away. The bullet did not have quiteenough energyto exit the bottom of the chest cavity.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like 180g Remington Core-Lokt's.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have never recovered a bullet from a deer. All of my shots on deer have been 125 yards and under and where very much a pass though. I have seen the differences in bullets though in shooting water jugs and recovering the bullets in the spring time after the snow has melted. Core Lokt's dont hold together quite as well as the Hornady Interlock bullets do, but none of the deer that I have ever shot have been able to tell the difference. Its all about shot placement on deer. Now your larger deer, like the high mountain muleys and the large white tail, some will say that you need a high end bullet and for my money I would probably want to use one too. But for your run of the mill residential deer that I get a close shot on, I just use the old tried and true cup and core bullet. My guns seem to like them well enough and they dont break the bank.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:33 PM

what about federals fusion,i think its abondedbullet. anyone ever shot them at deer or hogs?
Old 02-14-2009, 08:53 PM
Spike

I have been shooting the Fusion bullets for about 4 years now and love them in my 300 WSM i have killed around 30 deer with them and have had great luck at close and long range and in my gun they have been the best ones as far as the bench goes also.

Quick Reply: good deer bullet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.