Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 What gun rest to get? >

What gun rest to get?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What gun rest to get?

Old 01-31-2009, 04:26 AM
Spike

Default What gun rest to get?

Just wondering some of everyone's opinions on gun rests. We have an old outers with the Y rest at front and back with adjustable windage. The problem is that when sighting in it isnt all that stable, and when shooting I feel I still need to hang on to the gun. I want a rest that take my "shooter error" pretty much out of the picture so that I can really zero in my guns. How are the caldwell products? like that lead sled(though I only own 1 magnum that I feel taking the recoil away would be helpful) and that new fireshot or whatever its called that has the 360 degree lever adjustment at the front. So what are you guys using these days for accurate sight-ins? thanks
Old 01-31-2009, 05:46 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What gun rest to get?

Personally, I stay away from the Lead Sled designs. People have been cracking the rifle stock since there is no or little give under recoil. You will be shooting with the butt against your shoulder while hunting, so I prefer to sight-in using a rest where I have the butt against my shoulder. Work on reducing the variance you get from different positions on the shoulder. I also never fire from a vice type rest.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What gun rest to get?

I've been using sand-filled leather bags for many years. You need two. One for the forend to lay on, and one for under the rear of the stock that you adjust with your left hand as you aim. Very solid and comfortable. Personally, I don't care much for the Leadsled ideaology. They are uncomfortable for me to use and feel unnatural. The leather bags are generally sold as a set, one specifically made to be used under the forearm, one under the rear of the stock. If you can't get a good rest with these, your platform you are shooting off is not stable.
In my mind, the "vices" that are sold today are a poor attempt to cure a shooter's inability to control a gun himself. And himself.