Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 1911 accessories >

1911 accessories

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

1911 accessories

Old 01-27-2009, 02:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 1911 accessories

Should have done my homework.went to the 1911 forum specificly told them I was a newbie building 1911s.Felt like a complete idiot after a few responses.[8D]Finally called the Kimber custom shop .The guy I talked to knew exactly what I wanted will do everything (including milling the slide for the low profile adjustable sightsAnd refinishing where they will cut) all of this for about $400.00 .Not to bad in my opinion.The parts will be stainless,which is fine 'cause the more I thought about the "Gold" the more I felt it would be to P-diddyish(Bigcountry)Might also go with the slide with the black finish removed.Heard somewhere that most if not all of their slide were stainless anyway.don't know for sure maybe some of my guru buddies herewill.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:02 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 1911 accessories

That's too bad you got that response on a 1911 forum. There is lots of knowledge over on the 2 different ones I frequent. There are also a lot of people thrusting their opinion on to you, which is not as good.

I think the offense taken is usually based on changing parts for appearance. . .I can tell you I spent a ton of time building my 1911 on appearance(metal work) and about half as much on ergonomics(most important IMO) and function(alsovery important). At the end of the day appearance is importantto me in a big way also.

I hope you enjoy it when it comes back. Be critical of their work when you first receive it back as that is the critical moment to make sure they did it exactly how you expected.

Also, shoot 1000 rounds through it and make sure you have no failures. Failures with any gun can be a real cause of owner remorse. With a one of a kind creation like yours, you want to make it yours and make it something you can bet your life on, whether you do or not.

Kimber will replace with MIM parts, which is not all bad once proven. .. back to the shoot 1000 rounds. Beware of the urge to install trendy parts. Make it the way you want. Trends like FLGR, shock buffs, 8rd mags, dimpleless followers, mag wells, etcwill come and go.