Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 New Gun For grandpa >

New Gun For grandpa

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New Gun For grandpa

Old 03-21-2008, 05:21 PM

Default New Gun For grandpa

hey guys my grandpa need a new gun but he refuses to get one so me and my dad are going out ina couple weeks to buy him a new gun he is shooting some kinda Winchester semi auto 308 and the stock is all taped up and stuff so yah he has had it for almost 46 years now and he just wont let it go..............my uncle bought him a really really nice Browning Semi Auto about 5 years ago in 30/06 and he just uses it for elk hunting and he only does that one a year for about 2 weeks and doesn't see any elk so he never shoots it he has a really really really nice leupold VXL 3.5-14X50 mm scope and he just doesnt like the thing i dont understand why but what ever he was looking at a remington SPS 7mm Rem MAg in the DM model , a Browning Composite Stalker with boss in 325 WSM, and a Tikka T3 blued/Synthetic in 300 WIN Mag and a tikka T3 Stainless/Synthetic in 300 WSM and 270 WSM so can anyone help me out here??[&o] He will mostley be hunting White-Tail but he LOVES to elk hunt so it will have to be a good gun for both
Old 03-21-2008, 05:30 PM

Default RE: New Gun For grandpa

You've named three good rifles. Take your pick. If it's to be for elk I'd get a 7mm or 30 cal.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

He is shooting a Winchester model 100, and its a great piece. Thats all my dad will shoot, it was my grandpas deer rifle, and it was made the 2nd year they produced them. You can't pry that gun out of my dads hands. On his last elk hunt he was having issues getting that gun to shoot well, so I handed him my Browning A-Bolt 7mm, and he end up taking that gun on that trip.

Out of the guns you mentioned I'd go with the A-Bolt, but without the boss. I'd also stick with a tried an true cartridge like the 7mm, or 300win, or 338. Not that the short mags aren't good, I just prefer the "old-school" cartridges.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:54 AM
Fork Horn

Since he like the gun so much and it appears that he likes and knows the .308 as well. Why not jut get him another 308. He already has an adequate replacement rifle and doesn't use it. Don't through you money away on something else he won't use.

Spud
Old 03-24-2008, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

Just a thought but if his .308 still works, why not get him a really nice stock for it? He could still use the gun he enjoys and you wouldn't have to look at that taped up stock.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:36 PM

Pretty good idea, Cal. I was going to suggest sticking with 308 for him in whatever you pick. This way he won't have to learn any new trajectories or velocities. Other than feeling a little different, the rifle will still be basically the same.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:29 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with Calhunter, if the gun is still in good working order, send it off to a good smith, have it reblued, tightened up, and restocked like it was when it was new and he can hunt with his "favorite gun" for the rest of his life. I think I would like that if I was him.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:06 PM
Typical Buck

Get him a new stock, here is one for a good price. http://cgi.ebay.com/Winchester-model-100-Carbine-Stock-Un-Issued_W0QQitemZ250228976405QQihZ015QQcategoryZ739 49QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Don't get much easier than that, just swap um out, and if your sneeky maybe you can switch them without him knowing making for a big suprize for Grampa.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

.300 wsm I would prob take of what you said....

I wouldn't buy/own another boss......
Old 03-25-2008, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

If there is nothing wrong with the old gun other than some tape on the stock I wouldn't try to force him to change. It sounds like he is used to the gun and it probably holds a lot of memories for him and he wants to continue to use it. My grandfather used to hunt everything with his old Marlin 30-30 and even went elk hunting with it. Everybody told him he couldn't use it and had to get another gun to use but he refused. He ended up killing the biggest elk out of the group. I had a old .22 with the stock bolted back together that I used to hunt with until it got stolen and I liked it better than my new one. If the gun is safe to shoot I would leave him alone and let him enjoy his rifle. He sounds like he is not interested in having it replaced.

Quick Reply: New Gun For grandpa

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.