Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 help with building a custom gun. >

help with building a custom gun.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

help with building a custom gun.

Old 12-31-2008, 03:55 PM

Default help with building a custom gun.

im going to build a gun, but i cant find many actions. im looking for a remington 700 action in .204 ruger or 22-250. im looking to shoot out to 500 yards and want atleast 1'' groups at 500 yards.. i found a stock i like for 145$ and a floor plate for 35$ .a 1'' hart barrel that they will put the action onto and head space and everything else for 650$. can some body help me with finding an action in one of those calibers, im looking for one under 500$ new and is there anything else i need to make the gun.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: help with building a custom gun.

ORIGINAL: nightsniper1

im going to build a gun, but i cant find many actions. im looking for a remington 700 action in .204 ruger or 22-250. im looking to shoot out to 500 yards and want atleast 1'' groups at 500 yards.. i found a stock i like for 145$ and a floor plate for 35$ .a 1'' hart barrel that they will put the action onto and head space and everything else for 650$. can some body help me with finding an action in one of those calibers, im looking for one under 500$ new and is there anything else i need to make the gun.
In order to shoot 1" groups at 500 yards you need to make sure your smith knows how to accurize the action and bed the stock properly. Also you should go with the 22-250 with a fast twist barrel for heavy bullets. I would pass on the .204 for 500 yard shooting.

Make sure the stock and floor plate are stiff, they are also important for accuracy, can really go cheap on those either...

You will also need to have your smith work over the factory 700 trigger or get a aftermarket replacement.

Check GunBroker.com for actions and donor rifles, they are plentiful.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

.......Wow....
Old 01-01-2009, 07:48 AM
DM

im looking to shoot out to 500 yards and want atleast 1'' groups at 500 yards
Good luck with that!

DM
Old 01-01-2009, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

What I meant by "Wow" was that you are certainly expecting a whole lot out of a "custom" gun. I'm not saying it can't be done, but is certainly a demanding request. You should keep in mind that MOST shooters using their "work" rifles are very happy to consistantly shoot 1" groups @ 100 yds. And that usually only comes after some gun tweaking and lots of load development work. A 1" group @ 100 yds. roughly translates to a 5" group @ 500 yds. A 1/2" group @ 100 yds. should be about 2.5" @ 500 yds. Get my drift? Ridge Runner on this forum may be able to help you with your quest. Please keep in mind that people like RR spend countless hours at this and have a cosiderable investment of both money and time getting it to work. Having a rifle capable of even coming close to your demands does not mean YOU will be able to pull it off. Proper shooting techniques, finding the proper load, good optics, and HOURS of practice are required. If you, personally are unable to wring the potential out of a gun that has it, it's never going to happen. And a rifle that has that ability is going to be one rare bird, indeed.
Don't want to rain on your parade here, but thought you may want a little insight as to what you are up against. Also, you may want to reconsider your choices of caliber. 20 or 22 cal. bullets are not the best choice for your demands. You should consider movung up to at least .284 or .308 cal., IMO.
Anyhow, find a GOOD gunsmith, sit down and talk to him with your wants. Use his expertise......
Old 01-01-2009, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am by no means any kind of expert on custom rifles, but for what you are asking of this rifle accuracy-wise, it seems to me that you are trying "low ball" the project. I spend more on my hunting guns and ask less of them than you are wanting to spend on this custom "match grade" rifle.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:59 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: retrieverman

I am by no means any kind of expert on custom rifles, but for what you are asking of this rifle accuracy-wise, it seems to me that you are trying "low ball" the project. I spend more on my hunting guns and ask less of them than you are wanting to spend on this custom "match grade" rifle.
+1 you get what you pay for.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Don't hold your breath until you get your first 1" group at 500 yards!! Even if your rifle is capable of such shooting, wind alone will mess up a 500-yard group. You will need an indoor, 500-yard range that is temperature controlled to eliminate wind and keep mirage from becoming a factor.

I once did a lot of shooting on long underground ranges in Germany - there was no wind, but mirage was terrible because these ranges were very cold places, better suited to lagering beer than the use of high-mag. scopes.....
Old 01-02-2009, 01:25 AM

im looking for a remington 700 action in .204 ruger or 22-250.
Something you should know. You don't need a rifle chambered in these calibers, if you're only planning on using the action. To build a .22-250, all you need is a Rem 700 short action with the .308 family boltface......243, .260, 7mm-08, .308, etc. If you want to build a .204 Ruger, get a short action with the .223 family bolt face.

Admittedly, the short action "donors" are usually harder to find than the long actions. Gun shows and the on-line classified sections of many shooting forums are a great place to look for actions and "donor" rifles.

As others have already mentioned, your accuracy expectations are a bit unrealistic. One-inch groups at 500 yards is a very tall order.

If you're thinking of shooting a .22 caliber bullet at those distances, you'd be well served by choosing a bullet with a high ballistic coefficient. The 75gr A-Max and heavier Sierra Match Kings are made for this kind of shooting, and you'll need a fast-twist (1-8" or faster) barrel to properly stabilize them.