Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Custom building a short action cartridge into a long action receiver? >

Custom building a short action cartridge into a long action receiver?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Custom building a short action cartridge into a long action receiver?

Old 07-25-2004, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Custom building a short action cartridge into a long action receiver?

I've been toying with the idea of having a custom varmint rifle built for me for a long time, and I've started looking for Remington M700 action to build one on. I recently came across a used Rem M700 BDL in .30-06 thats receiver was in excellent shape, but the stock and barrel had several dings and scratches, making the asking price very appealing at $300 since I only want the action anyway and I'll probably have it refinished anyway.

The main issue is that all the possible calibers I'm considering are all short action calibers (in consideration are 6mm Rem. AI, .22-243 Win., .243 Win. AI or .22-250 Rem. AI) but this BDL is obviously a long action gun. The only cartridge in long action I'd consider is the 6mm-06, but I didn't really want that big of a powder burner if I could help it and would prefer to stay with the aformentioned wildcats.

I know that there are a couple arguments against long actions such as action rigidity (although I don't fully buy this one), weight (not that I care, since I plan on putting a 4-5lb barrel on it), overall length (also a non-issue since it'll be sporting a 26"+ bbl.), and cycle time.

So what I'm left with is the mail issue of will the long action feed similar diameter cartridges (except in the case of the 22-250 AI) that are quite a bit shorter than the .30-06 fodder this guns magazine is designed for? My thought is that the long action magazine would actually be a benefit as it'd allow bullets to be seated out as long as necessary to come close to the rifling while still retaining full magazine function.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 07-25-2004, 09:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Custom building a short action cartridge into a long action receiver?

What will happen is the cartridges seated all the way to the rear of the magazine will more than likely experience difficulty feeding. You will most likely have to block off the rear of the magazine so the cartridges sit more forward. At least that is the problem I ran into while looking at making a 308 Win on a Mauser action.
Old 07-25-2004, 10:48 PM

Default RE: Custom building a short action cartridge into a long action receiver?

Feeding is typically not a problem with varmint rifles unless you really think you need a quick follow up shot for a charging prairie dog. I use a magazine blocking plate that makes my 700's into single shots. That's the nice thing about a push feed Rem. action.
The other thing to consider is that you will have this rifle for a long time and it is going to be custom built to be just what you want, so why compromise on such a basic item as the action. Keep looking for just what you want. Just a thought.
Old 07-26-2004, 06:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

This might help.http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...CTION+RECEIVER
Old 07-26-2004, 03:46 PM

Mention "custom" rifle and folks expect "better than factory". It is always nice to find a "good deal" BUT if the item purchaced is "off spec" it may not be such a "good deal."

22-250 in a 30-06 action? Kind of like a BB in a boxcar. I would pass on the 06 action and find something that is "right for the project". I would not encourage such a "jerry rig" factor for your custom rifle. Just my $.02.

EKM
Old 07-26-2004, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

EKM,

That's kind of what I was thinking of late. I can buy a Rem. M700 short action from Brownells for $400, minus magazine parts and recoil lug. But I can also by a new Rem. M700 ADL SA in a caliber like .243Win complete for in the ballpark of $450. My thought would be to get the new rifle and shoot it as is until I save the money to have the customizing done. That way I'd not only know exactly what the action had been through, but I'd also get to have fun with a new rifle in the interim.

Mike
Old 07-26-2004, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

The other thing to consider is that you will have this rifle for a long time and it is going to be custom built to be just what you want, so why compromise on such a basic item as the action. Keep looking for just what you want.
Absolutely!!!