Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 I am curious about your rifle triggers. Do you... >

I am curious about your rifle triggers. Do you...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

I am curious about your rifle triggers. Do you...

Old 12-31-2008, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I am curious about your rifle triggers. Do you...

For my varmint rifles I have the trigger worked to break at no more than 2#, with as little creep (which is the motion BEFORE the sear releases) and over-travel (which is any movement after the sear releases) as possible without compromising safety. My hunting rifles are both Savage's with the Accu-Trigger, set at about 2.5#.

If I were having a STRICTLY benchrest rifle built, I'd probably have a competition benchrest trigger set at 4 to 6 ounces. But such triggers are NOT safe on a rifle meant for any other purpose.

But yes, the trigger is very important to accurate shooting. A poor trigger can be compensated to some degree by the shooter who's used to it, but will never compare to a really well refined trigger setup.

Mike
Old 12-31-2008, 10:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always have my triggers adjusted. Mine are set between 2 & 2.5 lbs. A light crisp trigger with no creap will most definately help you shoot better.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's the single easiest thing to do to turn your rifle into a shooter. All of my hunting rifles are set to 3lbs.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

My Blasers have the best factory triggers, and I have never felt the need to make any adjustments to them. They are set at the factory at 2-2.5# and just feel great.

I recently bought a Sako Finnlite and adjusted it myself, and now it is set at about 2.5#. I would really like it a little lighter, but I won't go any lower for safety reasons.

My Encores have all been tuned by Mike Bellm, and all have triggers in the 1.5-2# range. The way Mike described them is when you think about pulling the trigger; you just did.

From the posts that I have read in this thread, many people don't put as much emphasis on their triggers as I do. I have bought and resold several guns just because I did not like their trigger. For me the trigger makes the gun.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:47 PM
Typical Buck

I like a light crisp trigger, I like Rifle Basix drop in triggers. Mine is set at 2 1/4 lb. I can't see where you can get the same groups with a 6 lb. vs a 2-3 lb. JMO.