Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

CB Triggers?

Old 01-30-2008, 05:55 PM
Spike

Default CB Triggers?

Just curious what the triggers are like on the Excal, Stryker, and 10PT bows? On my rifle I like a rather light poundage (1.5-2lbs) on my pull, I like little to no creep either. I have seen on a few they are using 3.5lb triggers. I am hoping they are adjustable triggers????? It sucks living where not a single crossbow can be found to even look at. Headed to UT tomorrow, maybe can find one there to look at.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:22 PM

Default RE: CB Triggers?

Unfortunately, crossbows are going to have heavier triggers. I know of no manufacturer that offers adjustable triggers. TenPoint and Excalibur are reputed to have decent triggers. Just don't expect target rifle quality, it simply does not exist.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:36 PM
Spike

Thats a bummer, going to take some real getting used to. When I shoot my brothers gun, I have a heck of a time because as I am pulling the trigger I anticipate the shot and it doesnt come and it distracts me from my shot. I hope I can get used to it on the crossbow or it might end up being useless for me. [:'(]
Old 01-30-2008, 10:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used to compete w/ muzzle loaders w/ double set triggers and often had the front one around 8 ounces. Crossbows have to hold alot of pressure back and are no where near rifle triggers in pull. Excal, upper end 10 pts and talon Hortons are all good as your gonna get.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:24 AM
Fork Horn

the parkers have a decent trigger too. Maybe a hair heavier than the excal but a little less travel.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Same story, although the trigger on (my) Parker Terminator is the best one I've found so far. All of my long guns and handguns are 3 lbs or less. The Parker is at 4, with no take-up, and I can live with that. My Excal is at 4.5 but needs a liitle nudging to break so seems heavier. Have learned to shoot it that way. Both trigges were a bit stiffer when I first got te bows, esp the Vortex, but have settled in to where they are. Adjustable would bw nice. No doubt one day it will come; just like bows gettjng smaller and lighter. e.g. Hear tell the Parker Cyslone coming out of '08 is just 18" wide, drawn, and weighs only 6.5 lbs. That I've got to see.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:53 AM
Typical Buck

Well, my Tenpoint has some weight adjustment, I think. It is an older Tenpoint Magnum X-2. They did get rid of the adjustability in later years. Mine has a good trigger as far as weight goes, but is terrible for creep. This spring, I plan to fool around with this, or take it apart and try to improve it's crispness. It is really bad. You can't buy a rifle or pistol with this much creep! Pull weight is fine.

I think crossbow triggers are a different animal as far as geometries andspring rates go. Don't expect it to pull like a rifle. If you retrain your pulling method, you can make it work for you.

I tend to pull it like a double action revolver. Itouch the trigger, then I do not pull with a constant force. I pull with a fairly rapidly increasing force, while I continue to work the crosshairs in ever shrinkingcircles to the bullseye.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:39 PM
KLS
Fork Horn

back in my paintball days I(and everyone else) used to modify the triggers on our paintball markers pretty heavily with various travel limiting screws/plates,spring swaps, and even custom made parts...

I havent taken my crossbow trigger apart(and dont plan to...)so I dont know exactly how it works but I have thought about a few ways to make some improvments just from working on the outside of the bow with a couple of simple travel limiting screws(I evencame up withexactly where they'd need to be and where to put them), wether it would work or not wouldremain to be seen and would require digging into the trigger itself to learn its operation, it may very well be that the trigger NEEDS its full travel to reset the sear(or whatever mechanism it uses)

although I've thought about it quite a bit and am probably more than capable of doing some form of modificationand get some improvement(I also have a machine shop at my disposal,with several gun freak friends who run it...),I'm not doing it anyway... the trigger in my phoenix is pretty goodas isand theres a big difference between an accidental fire in a modded paintball gun and one in a crossbow

Old 02-02-2008, 10:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Horton makes a smooth and consistent trigger. (My biased opinion)
Old 02-03-2008, 08:45 PM

ORIGINAL: RockinChair

Horton makes a smooth and consistent trigger. (My biased opinion)
The Talon trigger on my super max is top notch IMO. The Excal trigger on my Vortex is just as light, but the Talon does not have thelittle take up that the Excal has. I do not know how much the Compound advantage plays in favor for the Horton since it is not holding the full weight compared to the Excal. But after much use, I have gown to know how to use the Excal trigger and it has become a none issue for me, but was at first.