Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 need help mounting new scope to old gun! >

need help mounting new scope to old gun!

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

need help mounting new scope to old gun!

Old 12-27-2008, 08:33 PM

Default need help mounting new scope to old gun!

I have a mossberg 46m .22 lr that was handed down to me from my grandfather and I want to mount a new scope to it so I can use it but am having trouble finding a way to mount a new style scope to this old gun. To clear up some confusion for some of you who may know about this rifle it is a model 46m but the front portion of the stock was cut off by the guy my grandfather bought it off of back in the 40's.

Ok my problem is that the scope is mounted offset to the side and the scope on it has a 3/4 in tube dia. I would like to put a better 1" tube dia scope on it but it obviously wont fit. I have been trying to find a different style mount but the top centerof the gun is not drilled for scope mounts and I dont think it can be drilled because of the placement of the bolt lever groove.

I thought of buying one of the cheap tasco 3/4" scopes but I would have to cut off the rings because they encircle thescope and then bolt it on with the weaver mounts that are already on thegun. I don't really want to use that scope anyway because it's probably not much better then the one I have now other than it's not cloudy like mine is.

Anybody have any ideas or know how I can mount a better newer scope???

Old 12-27-2008, 08:33 PM

Default RE: need help mounting new scope to old gun!

Side view.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:36 PM

Here's a link to the only scope I could find that I think I could make work.

http://www.tasco.com/single.cfm?s=Riflescopes&family=Rimfire&pr oduct=rf4x15d
Old 12-28-2008, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Have you considered bending the existing mount until it is centered over the bore? It appears to be really high above the barrel already, and I don't think any increase in height at this point is going to make much difference.
Perhaps a better alternative would be to take the whole thing to a good gunsmith, tell him what you want, and let him modify the existing mount to lower it (or not), and make it adaptable to take 1" rings. Some cutting, welding/soldering would need to be done, but I'm sure it could be done.
As you are already aware, 3/4" tubes are darn near non-existent anymore. Get that thing(mount) revamped to handle 1" scopes. A 'smith or good machinist could also fabricate an entirely new mount that would work. Just my take on the situation............
Old 12-28-2008, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

google is your friend havlin has a mount for this. http://www.havlinsales.com/22rifle.htm