Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Ruger 10/22 Question >

Ruger 10/22 Question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger 10/22 Question

Old 12-12-2008, 12:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default Ruger 10/22 Question

Been doing some browsing on here and have noticed alot of you like this gun and also the marlin 60. I was wondering what would these guns cost new and used aprox. I am looking for a semi auto but am also trying to keep cost down. also if you have any other sugestions on cheap 22's please post going to a gun show and trying to get a list going and prices to see if I am getting a deal or not. One other question kinda off topic I have heard that once obama takes over and if this bill pases guns and ammoare going up but not muzzleloders has anyone heard about that and maybe why that would be. Thanks
Old 12-12-2008, 01:06 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Ruger 10/22 Question

I paid about $200 out the door at Walmartfor this Marlin 60 with a stainless steel barrel and a 4x20 scope. I think the MSRP on a stock 10/22 without the scope is $170. So, they are in the same ball park. You can find a lot of aftermarket stuff for the 10/22. If you think you might want to tinker with it or upgrade it, get the 10/22. I just wanted a goodtraining rifle right out of the box and this Marlin is perfect for that.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:36 PM
Fork Horn

I have owned both and both are good for different reasons. 10/22 has a really nice, carbine feel to it, it's accurate and the rotary mag is almost flawless. If you like a tube magazine the marlin has all the same features but not the same feel.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:15 PM
Spike

Like stated above, the 10/22 has a huge aftermarket. That's why I have two. Paid $179 for a new one and $165 for a used CRR (youth) model. Both now have bull barrels. One wears a hogue overmold stock and the other a thumbhole laminate stock. Both trigger groups have been worked over with aftermarket parts as well.

I really don't think you can go wrong with either, I just like to tinker.

As far as your other question. Everything is going up that has to do with guns or ammo. Supply and demand right now. Everyone is fearing the worst based on the president elects past voting record when it comes to taking away our right to keep and bear arms. This following the high demand for metal in China is the big reasons. Not sure about the muzzleloaders not going up. I did hear a good story about some lib wanting them banned as well. You know how dangerous those .50 cal anti aircraft guns are.....
Old 12-12-2008, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm SOLIDLY in favor of the ruger 10/22. I've had too many marlin/glenfield model 60s come in over the years for repair to like them. Also,they are not of as good of design as the ruger is. They used to be really poorly designed but have improved quite a bit-still not a ruger however.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:21 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info maybe I will be able to pick up a used 10/22 for a little over 100 find out tommorrow going to the gun show in the AM.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:40 PM
Typical Buck

If you find one for around a 100 or so you should buy it if it seems ok,they dont go down much in price from the new ones unless they are scratched up or something,I have seen them sell used for 200 plus on a local sales network,on the same network they are having a hard time getting 125 out of the marlins,I own both and both are good but the ruger will be the one that I will always keep.I lucked up on the marlin for cheap.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 10-22 was my first real gun after the BB days.Paid around 80 bucks new but that was MANY moons ago.Never had a problem and it still shoots great.
Old 12-13-2008, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I doubt you will find a used one for around $100 unless something is wrong with it. Wal-Mart here had a wood one for $197 new. A local gun shop had a wood and camo one instock. I liked the camo one but it was $259 and I didn't want to pay that being that I already had one in wood. The wood one was I think $229. Well, this was on a Saturday. I went back the next Friday and both were sold. Someone was looking at the wood when I was in there. Sometimes they will come down a little on the price.

Another thing to consider is the used ones seem to bring more because they have metal parts where as the new one uses a lot of plastic parts like the trigger guard, piece that wraps around the stock and barrel, etc. So a lot of guys want used ones instead of new to get the metal parts instead of plastic.