Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Ruger p89 question

Old 02-11-2006, 07:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default Ruger p89 question

Hey Guys, I've got a Ruger P89, its only a 9mm, but my question is,who makes the hottest load that will work in this gun ?
I go Bear baiting every once and a while with a buddy of mine, he carries a 44 mag, but I kinda would like to have a little protection along also, I know a 9mm isn't much against a black bear but it is probably better than nothing. ( or would I be better off just throwing the gun at him ? ) Thanks for the help .
Old 02-11-2006, 09:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Ruger p89 question

Any good factory load will work fine in your Ruger. I would carry the heavies FMJ you can find for Bear defense. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR LOCAL LAWS BEFORE YOU CARRY ANY HANDGUN FOR BACK-UP.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:44 PM

Aquila makes some very deep explosive hollow points for the 9mm and it hink that would work well if your just using it for protection. wont have a lot of penetration but the penetration that it does get willdo enough damageto save your life if it came down to it.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Golden Sabre's 158 - 165g. Those are some pretty stout rounds on a guy - but he's not a bear. Put all of them in him and then throw that 2nd clip in there and procede as necessary.

But if YOU KNOW you're gonna be in bear country, follow your buddies lead and get yourself some heavier metal. Seems everyonje wants to know.....44 mag?.....454?.....460?.....45/70?

Let's not forget what speaks louder than any of them ...................... 12 gauge throwing slugs.

Till then, just make sure you can run plenty faster than your buddy can!
(don't have to outrun your buddy - just the bear!)
Old 02-15-2006, 06:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

If I was carring my Ruger 9MM in bear country, I want penetration. A good heavy FMJ penterates big time in the 9MM. HP's for Human varmits FMJ's for animal type varmits. The 146 grain hard cast feeds well in my Ruger and I believe you would get excellent penetration and a bit of expansion.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:01 PM

Hey steviebiggun, if you are going to use that Ruger P89 as a deterrent against wounded or charging bears, do yourself a favor and remove the rear sight, file down the front sight, and have the hammer bobbed. That way there won't be any metal portrusions on the gun tearing perferations in your colon when that bear shoves that handgun up there where the sun don't shine!
Old 02-19-2006, 06:40 PM

I dont think a 9mm is a good idea for a bear.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:51 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Gunwalkr

Hey steviebiggun, if you are going to use that Ruger P89 as a deterrent against wounded or charging bears, do yourself a favor and remove the rear sight, file down the front sight, and have the hammer bobbed. That way there won't be any metal portrusions on the gun tearing perferations in your colon when that bear shoves that handgun up there where the sun don't shine!
I was just wondering if the P89 was big enough to killmyself before the bear gets the chance to.

Like the old story about the two old timers sitting around talking about what they would do to stop a bearfrom chaseing them.One old timer said, "He would reach down the back of his pants andgrab a handful of S**T and throw it in the bears face. " the other old timer ask " How do you know that it'l be there to throw." The first old timer said "BELIEVE ME "" if a bear is chaseing me it'l be there ""
Old 02-20-2006, 04:59 AM

Good one!
Old 02-20-2006, 04:41 PM
Typical Buck

The 9mm would not be my first choice, but I would carry my 380 over nothing. If I was walking around in Bear country I would take my 357 mag or my .45 ACP.

Quick Reply: Ruger p89 question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.