Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Wood VS Synthetic??? >

Wood VS Synthetic???

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Wood VS Synthetic???

Old 10-06-2008, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Wood VS Synthetic???

I'm thinking about buying a couple of wood stocks for my Remington SPS 300 ultra mag and my Remington SPS .270. The stocks are described Rem 700 Deluxe ADL LA RH stocks s ". One of the stocks came off a 30.06, that is the one I will use on the 300. The other came off a .270 and obviously that is the one I'll use on my .270. Will these stocks fit properly, and will they improve the accuracy of the guns? I just wanted some of yall's advice before I pull the trigger and buy them. Any input will be very appreciated.

Thanks Bryan

Edit- I should add, both of the guns are shooting good already, I just like the looks of the wood better. Any added accuracy would also be a plus!
Old 10-06-2008, 07:04 PM

Default RE: Wood VS Synthetic???

For the 270 either stock will be fine since a 270 and 30-06 are the same length action. The 300 Ultra Mag I think have a longer action due to the Ultra Mag cartridge so it wouldnt fit that one. I could be wrong though. Someone will be on ehre soon enough that will let you knwo for sure.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

The 30-06 stock will fit your 300RUM action. A Remington LA is the same dimensionally regardless of what cartridge it may be chambered for. The only differences are in the feed lips and the magazine and the Ultra mag magazine is simply "cut out" for the larger case. If the feed lips were widerI could stuff my 338 RUM cartridges in my sons 30-06.

As far as accuracy goes,it is a shot in the dark. With a proper bedding job they could very well improve the accuracy of your rifles over the standard SPS plastic stockbut you never know until you try. You may have to experimentwith different loads again to find the one that it will like with the new stocks.

Apply several coats of a sealing finish to seal up the insideof the barrel channel and any other wood that is not already sealed or bedded to keep the wood from absorbing moisture. I absolutely love Permalyn finish, not only as a rock hard and beautiful stock finish but in the barrel channel as well.
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=7785&title=PERMALYN%20STO CK%20FINISH%20&%20SEALER

I say get the stocks. There were many a accurate rifles before plastic, kevlar, carbon, etc... were used to make rifle stocks. Wood is sooooooo much nicer than plastic on a rifle. Not that synthetic stocks don't have their place too.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks BB! I'm gonna go ahead and make the deal with the guy!!!