Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Wood or Synthetic? >

Wood or Synthetic?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Wood or Synthetic?

Old 06-19-2003, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Wood or Synthetic?

Just curious to what everyone prefers when it comes to rifle stocks, wood or synthetic? I have several wood and only one synthetic but the the synthetic i have i think i' m going to replace with wood. I just can' t seem to get use to the feel of the synthetic stock. I personally just like wood better.
Old 06-19-2003, 08:21 AM

Default RE: Wood or Synthetic?

If you want a rifle that will hold its point of impact and be consistently accurate go with the synthetic.
I will never buy another wood stocked rifle.
I much prefer the feel and look of wood but it is not worth the hassle.
Old 06-19-2003, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am going to have to say I don' t care for either one. Synthetics are just too...I don' t know, fake I guess. Most just feel flimsy to me. Wood is ok but some of the factory stocks are like 2X4' s and tend to warp at times. What I do like is the best of both words. Give me a laminate stock any day. All but 2 of my rifles have laminate stocks and I really like them. The other 2 will get restocked in the future.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

frizzellr or anyone........I' ve been looking at a laminate stock to put on one of my remington' s and was wondering where do you purchase yours at? Have you ever dealt with or know anyone who has bought one from www.boydboys.com? I' m interested in the jrs classic that they have. Thank You!
Old 06-19-2003, 09:14 AM

I like wood, but synthetic is much more durable; consequently the majority of my rifles have synthetic stocks for that reason. If weather is not going to be an issue, I' ll hunt with a wood stocked rifle.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:22 AM

Wood stocks you can look at, synthetic stocks you can hunt with.
Old 06-19-2003, 10:42 AM

i do not mean to offend anyone, but i find synthetic stocks very ugly. I personally like wood better for that reason, but laminate are fine too
Old 06-19-2003, 11:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

The only factory synthetic stock I like came on the " new" version of the Ruger MK II I now own. It is extremely stiff and has very little foreend flex unlike a lot of the flexible flyers out there in second place would be the Savage synthetic stock . I personally prefer the look of a laminated stock but most not all of the factory laminates are plain ugly and some are more glossy than bowling balls . I like the Acrabond models since they are walnut and don' t really look like a laminate , have great checkering and come with a easily redone oil finish . They can be pricey if you let Acrabond finish the stock otherwise they aren' t so bad pricewise. They will withstand whatever weather a fiberglass stock will and they have character . They have a well earned reputation for durability and they weigh in less than a comparable stock from Boyds. Now there is nothing wrong with a Boyds stock they are a good dollar value and they make them for just about all rifles I just prefer the look of the Acrabond.
Old 06-19-2003, 11:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

MyKey here is their website: www.acrabondlaminates.com
Old 06-19-2003, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use Richards Microfit exclusively. You have to do some work in fitting them but what you end up with is a custom stock that you finished out yourself. They come with enough wood left on them that you can play a little. I like them because I get a longer length of pull out of them and a bigger grip.

www.rifle-stocks.com

Quick Reply: Wood or Synthetic?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.