Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 wood vs. synthetic >

wood vs. synthetic

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

wood vs. synthetic

Old 12-02-2006, 12:34 PM

Default wood vs. synthetic

Is there an advantage to having a synthetic stock over a wood stock?
I see that many people seem to be recommending the remington synthetic over the BDL, and I am trying to figure it out.

Thanks!
Old 12-02-2006, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: wood vs. synthetic

The advantages of a synthetic stock are- #1 they will not warp,thus moving your zero like a wood stock will under adverse conditions. #2 you don't have to worry about damaging them.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I personally like wood better. Some claim that there is the potential for better accuracy out of a synthetic stock, but I like the feel of wood better. I have owned both and to me the wood is easier to keep a good grip on when packing the gun in the cold. That and I really like the look of wood over even the best of synthetic. Now on a shotgun I dont mind a synthetic, but that is just because they look good camoflauged.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:10 PM

yea, i do love the look of the wood guns...but from what i hear, i guess the synthetic is a better choice?

This being said, is the synthetic usually cheaper than the wood?
Old 12-02-2006, 01:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Synthetic stocks are much more stable in changing climate condtions,resulting in a more consistant point of impact.A high quality synthetic is also much stronger and more durable than wood.My mcmillans are checkered and are not at all slippery in cold or wet conditions.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like laminated wood stocks, they just seem to work for me andare stronger then just wood. I havent had any issues with them moving or changing in climatic weather. They can be found in lots of colors also.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love and appreciate a beautifully made wood stock....but I admire the practicality of synthetic....not only for the utilitarian job it performs without worry of changing POI when wet or with temp changes, but also for the ease of maintanence when you hunt in the slop. I'm in the process of putting together a stable of "pretty guns" and "worker guns" for hunting in fair or foul weather. Best of both worlds.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:03 PM
Typical Buck

These guys have hit the nail on the headd. Basically, there are three choices. Wood, Synthetic and Laminate.

Wood gives great feel balance and looks the best, but if humidy or temperatureshift much between range day and the hunt, you may be off some. I hunted with wood in MT for a long time. Never had an issue, but MT is dry, even though the temp varies.

Synthetics always feel out of balance to me until you step up to a high dollar synthetic where they add weight to the butt for balance. Of courrse tthen you loose some of why you go synthetic. They usually are very stable, but some cheap factory stocks are warped enough to pressure the barrel out of the box!

Laminates are a good balance. Laminate wood, has better temperature and humidity stability. It still looks pretty good and it has great balance of wood. It is probably the cheapest way to get a reasonably stable,reasonably pricedstock. Even some BR guys are going this way.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:15 AM
Typical Buck

Wood for beauty, synthetic for performance, & that's the bottom line cause I said so
Old 12-04-2006, 10:57 AM

I think the weighted synthetic you are refering to is "composite", when the stock is solid, but made from a synthetic composite material, like alot of the Sako's. The T3 is a friggin awesome gun, it was just hard for me to get over the fact that it feels like a BB gun I had when I was a kid. With a synthetic stock a 300 win mag is going to feel like a 300 ultra mag with a wood stock. I'm old school, go wood.

Buy the one you like best, and you can always add to your collection for the changing weather. If weather and price is a factor go syntheic 30-06. There is not an animal in North America that a 30-06 cant drop. Plus it's cheap to shoot, plus it an over 100 year old bullet proven to work.

Quick Reply: wood vs. synthetic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.