Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Synthetic or Wood >

Synthetic or Wood

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Synthetic or Wood

Old 11-16-2006, 07:43 AM

Default Synthetic or Wood

I'm buying a 30-06 next month and can't decide between a wood or synthetic stock. What direction should I go? What are the pro's and cons?
Old 11-16-2006, 07:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Synthetic or Wood

I would go with synthetic.

Wood: looks good (often better); scratches/marks easy, expands/contracts if wet or abrupt temperature changes

Synthetic: doesn't scratch, doesn't expand (i.e. holds accuracy better); years later still looks the same. Cheaper to replace as well. Lighter (sometimes too light). I buy all guns in synthetic now
Old 11-16-2006, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer synthetic for durability. But the heavier wood sometimes helps with absorbing recoil. Plus they really do look better and definately more traditional. But I also kinda like the way that synthetics look to.

It all comes down to personal choice I think.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

I buy only synthetic now, and swapped a synthetic stock onto my Model 700 .30-06 instead of the laminate that it had. I got tired of the scratches and dents every time I bumped the wood against something in the blind or on the 4 wheeler. With the synthetic, I don't worry about scratches and dents any more...
Old 11-16-2006, 09:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have gone back to a preference for wood over synthetic. Reasons are looks, feel and balance. Bonus for me is alittle easier to tinker within DIY(bedding, hawging, etc). I haven't found a wood stock to beless accurate then a synthetic. It gets scratched but those are just like notches in a bed post. As far as care no real differenceto me either as I wipe down my wood with some light gun oil while doing the barrel/action/etc, just like a synthetic stocked rifle.

As far as cost for replacement the cheap plastic synthetic stocks may be but I think that is why I don't like them as much anymore. If you want a higher grade syntheticthe saving aren't there. Plusbeing a left handed shooter no such thing as cheaper![&:]

Like said boils down to preference.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:53 AM

Women should be hot, beer should be cold, and Guns should have wood stocks!
Old 11-16-2006, 09:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis
Women should be hot, beer should be cold, and Guns should have wood stocks!
LOL! Can't argue with that!

I prefer wood stocks. I have shot synthetic stocked guns before (some buddies of mine have them) and they are okay. But for some reason, I just prefer wooden stocks. Maybe I'm "old school"... who knows.

Butch A.

Old 11-16-2006, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Both, Tom.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:50 AM

Synthetic will hold up to nicks better and as stated not swell, but some factory synthetic stocks leave something qaulity/rigidity wise to be desired. I refer to the synthetic stocks that savage uses, flimsey.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shato...I agree heartily...A man after my own heart...

I prefer walnut, but will settle for laminate...

My reasons are purely asthetic and personal... I like wood, and I like blued steel... IMHO,if PIMPS carried rifles, they would be synthetic and stainless....

I can't deny the utility of synthetic stocks and stainless finishes... They are very practical, and if you like them, more power to you...Many hunters could care less what thier gun looks or feels like, as long as it does the job..That's fine..Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

As for MOI, I subscribe to the old axiom " Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun.."...

Quick Reply: Synthetic or Wood

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.