Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 SAVAGE VS REMINGTON THE HN SHOWDOWN!!! >

SAVAGE VS REMINGTON THE HN SHOWDOWN!!!

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

SAVAGE VS REMINGTON THE HN SHOWDOWN!!!

Old 08-19-2008, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: SAVAGE VS REMINGTON THE HN SHOWDOWN!!!

ORIGINAL: CommonSense

HEAD, I usually respect your opinion, and actually agree with you in most areas, but it appears that you are trying to start more trouble with this one.

Starting trouble is truly not my intent. My intention was to try and point out the real differences, and why someone would pick one over the other. That way someone could make an intelligent decision. I picked these two rifles because the cost is basically the same.

Now the funny part is that so far not one person has actually listed a real difference or legitimate reason for going one way or the other. Besides the "FIT" of the rifle. Which is a truly arbitrary reason.

If someone wants to be argumentative then I hope they post in a different thread. This thread(hopefully) is for good informatin. Tom.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:39 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

HEAD, I usually respect your opinion, and actually agree with you in most areas, but it appears that you are trying to start more trouble with this one.

Starting trouble is truly not my intent. My intention was to try and point out the real differences, and why someone would pick one over the other. That way someone could make an intelligent decision. I picked these two rifles because the cost is basically the same.

Now the funny part is that so far not one person has actually listed a real difference or legitimate reason for going one way or the other. Besides the "FIT" of the rifle. Which is a truly arbitrary reason.

If someone wants to be argumentative then I hope they post in a different thread. This thread(hopefully) is for good informatin. Tom.
No problems HEAD, you don't seem like the rabble rousing type.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

No problems HEAD, you don't seem like the rabble rousing type.

I am probably just as hard headed as the next guy. And I am probably a bit old fashioned. I am normally set in my ways, but I will always listen to someone elses opinion. That is the only way to learn.

There are a lot of new shooters who are trying to make an educated decision on their first rifle. A good thread with the real differences might help them out a bit. Thirteen pages of arguing is not the way to help them. Now hopefully that information will come forth.

There are some big differences in these two rifles. Tom.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Now we are getting somewhere. I think 99% of preference is just fit and personal choice. Another reason for me would be for the fact that in this area Remingtons sell and sell immediately for good money if the day arises that you dont like one or get in a tight spot...again..not a real legit reason..lol.

With all that being said I do own a couple of Savages and they are good guns as well. However a friend of mine offered to buy the 17HMR for a huge price so the resale part may be changing as well. Bye bye 17 .
Old 08-19-2008, 04:39 PM
Typical Buck

savage not doubt. but i'd wait and get it next year with the accu-stock.

the savage my not be as good looking cause of that dang barrel nut but...each savage centerfire rifle is fitted for headspacing before it leaves the factory. a round is chambered and the barrel is pushed into the action until the lands come in contacted with the bullet then the barrel nut is tightened.
does remington do that??? no you can take you ever so popular 700 action to your not so local gunsmith and he can fit you a kreiger barrel and a timmeny trigger.

just buy whatever you want cause it don't make two s**ts to me. it's not a compatition of who has the better toys. if it were then you ought to suggest the crappest gun out there so that way you remain one up.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have four of the Remington 700's and one 870. I love my Remingtons. I have owned one Savage 30.06 in the past. I killed several elk and deer with it. I do not think they would have been any deader if I would have shot them with my Remingtons. I only own one Savage now in .223(front left of picture). I don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon, because it is a shooter. I like them both, Remington's and Savage's, and would buy either one depending on how I felt at the time.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: outdoorsmen

a round is chambered and the barrel is pushed into the action until the lands come in contacted with the bullet then the barrel nut is tightened.
does remington do that???
I can assure you of one thing. Savage definitely does not do what you are stating here. They do check the head space. But definitely not in the manner you have suggested. And I can assure you that headspace is also something that is checked on a Remington before it leaves the factory. It is called a "Go No Go Headspace Gauge" Tom.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

the savage my not be as good looking cause of that dang barrel nut but...each savage centerfire rifle is fitted for headspacing before it leaves the factory. a round is chambered and the barrel is pushed into the action until the lands come in contacted with the bullet then the barrel nut is tightened.
does remington do that??? no you can take you ever so popular 700 action to your not so local gunsmith and he can fit you a kreiger barrel and a timmeny trigger.
That Barrel nut is an economy move on Savages part. It adds no rigidity to the action or barrel assembly whatsoever, if it did why isn't that design widespread on all hunting rifles ? It makes it easier for an unskilled worker to screw on a barrel properly and check the headspace and that is the bottomline . A company that produces as many rifles as Savage at it's price point has to speed production.Furhermore there is not one gun that leaves any manufacturer that is not checked for headspace intentionally. Why would you have to take your Remington to a gunsmith to have a krieger barrel or a timney trigger installed ? Do you think the barrel on a Savage is better or the accutrigger is an improvement over a Remington trigger? Evidently all the full color ads Savage puts out there must make an impression on a lot of people.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:49 PM
Typical Buck

well lets see, i'm the first guy here to point out differences between the two guns and now i'm being called out on it.
tom- i didn't say live round, and you can substatute gauge if you'd like.the method that i mentioned about checking the headspace came directly from my savage sales rep and yes that is essentionaly how it happens. the barrels are hand lapped buton rifled. call me wrong all you want, this came from the mouth of someone who knows a hell of alot more about the company then anybody else on here.

old-that is rediculous. "easier for an unskilled worker.." what's next? you gonna say that the rifles are made in a sweat shop with martha stuart running the show? hell yeah the accutrigger is better. is it the best, no, better then 95% of factory triggers, yep! and no sir it's not the pretty color ads that influences me, it's dealing in guns everyday of my life for the past 8 years, you tend to pick up on a few things.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:25 PM
Typical Buck

Hand lapped? No, not even their F Class gun barrels are hand lapped. Button rifled yes.

For the do it yourself home gunsmith, the Savage/Stevens line is the way to go. Even for the non-home gunsmithers, Savage is fairly straight forward and simple.

But when it comes down to which is better, toss a coin. Even though I own9 Savages, I won't tell you that you should buy one.

Quick Reply: SAVAGE VS REMINGTON THE HN SHOWDOWN!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.