Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 rem 700 adl or savage 110 >

rem 700 adl or savage 110

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

rem 700 adl or savage 110

Old 08-20-2008, 05:08 AM

Default RE: rem 700 adl or savage 110

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

Damn, I hate agreeing with RIfle Loony but I just have to on this one anyway. You don't see the Marines or special forces adapting the Savage action and you don't see many custom smiths making guns out of them either for that matter. When either of both pick a weapon it has good bones.
Don't worry, I won't get mad if you can't agree with me on the next one....grins.

Good posts BTW..........................
Old 08-20-2008, 03:00 PM
Typical Buck

You don't see the Marines or special forces adapting the Savage action and you don't see many custom smiths making guns out of them either for that matter.
A custom gunsmith would be a fool to promote the savage system. The system eliminates lots of gravy work. Take a look at this article by Jerry Teo it pretty much sums it up.

"The Economical Custom long range 1000yds and Under Hunting rifle: How to Build a Tack Driver for under $1000. To ensure that I would be getting everything I wanted the first go round, I have focused on an action that will give you the performance with very low costs. In fact, the total of this semi custom build can be less then some factory rifles once you account for the tweaking costs.

For me, the most 'usable' and economical commercial action is the Savage/Stevens (sporterized surplus actions actually cost more in the long run). I have built all of my recent long range and competition rifles from these actions. They provide a superb lock-up to handle those toasty loads, a strong action, a fixed or detachable magazine that will feed improved shoulder wildcats, an awesome factory trigger (Accutrigger) or many after-market options (SSS, Rifle-Basix, Timney), ability to do home smithing if desired all for dirt cheap pricing.

All of my rifles were built using out of the box actions. No blueprinting was done nor required (savings of at least $200 compared to a Remington). With that floating bolt head, many woes that plague every other solid bolt action are eliminated. The first way to a dirt cheap semi-custom is to get a Savage w/Accutrigger in the action length and bolt face you want (HB 110FV come in 7RM and 300WM and make great rifles). If the factory barrel doesn't shoot as desired, sell it and spin on a quality pre-threaded/pre-chambered barrel in a cartridge of your choice.

Barrels from Pac Nor, Shillen, Lothar or Walther will give you the performance you want and are very well priced. Most are around $200 to $350 which is a steal considering you don't have the install costs. If desired, most any gunsmith will headspace that barrel for you for a few bucks. You can also buy a barrel blank and have it installed. It will end up costing a few dollars more but you have the option of wildcats and headspacing off the barrel shoulder
.""

The Savage system is a gunsmiths worst nightmare. Great trigger, no more trueing, blueprinting etc.

Just buy a Shilen Select match grade barrel $270.00 screw it on and headspace. Down the road. I would also concede a new stock would be in order.

With regard to the military use of firearms I would not point to the federal goverment as an example of "buying value" and in particular the military has an even worst track record. Last point is reliability there are claims of reliability problems with Savages I would like to hear what failures these rifles are prone to have. I must be so lucky with thousands of rounds through my rifles with no failures.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Don't worry, I won't get mad if you can't agree with me on the next one....grins.

Good posts BTW
I like reading your posts as well except when you throw perfectly good rifles on gravel bars in the name of testing

Scott:

A custom gunsmith would be a fool to promote the savage system. The system eliminates lots of gravy work. Take a look at this article by Jerry Teo it pretty much sums it up.
Bit of a stretch Eh? Why are the custom action builders not copying the design? The patents have run out on this magnificent work of art so why are they not using it or building copies of it. Scott who is Jerry Teo?

With regard to the military use of firearms I would not point to the federal goverment as an example of "buying value" and in particular the military has an even worst track record. Last point is reliability there are claims of reliability problems with Savages I would like to hear what failures these rifles are prone to have. I must be so lucky with thousands of rounds through my rifles with no failures.
I think the fact they have never been considered speaks spades . Don't you think? I am betting the roughest duty most savages have is the 10 minute walk from the truck to the deer stand and the hoisting of it with a rope to a shooting house or tree stand. I would think they would be admirable in that capacity. Scott I have been around guns all my life and have gunsmiths as close personal friends . I think I know a thing or two about what constitutes junk , what constitutes a system gun and what is a superior weapon. In the interest of our readers and promoting harmony here I will not tell you what category the savage falls into.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:46 PM
Typical Buck

Remington ADL!
Old 12-17-2010, 01:01 PM
Spike

Hmmmm.......The age old debate of what rifle is better. Just as a quick background I own 2 Savages, 2 Remington 700's, a Ruger 77, S & W 1500 (Howa), 2 Mk X Mausers (Interarms and H&R), a BSA, a Tikka 595, Springfields, a few military mausers, I even owned one of the post 64 Winchester model 70's once.

To be honest both of my Savages are varmint guns and one of the 700's is a V model. If I wanted the most accurate rifle in my cabinet it would be the Savages. Both of the Remingtons will shoot sub- or near moa even the MR. The one Savage has shot sub 0.25" groups at 100 yards.

As a hunting rifle, I have used the MR and it does well no complaints. I also think the MR is what I consider a classic and good looking rifle in wood, I restock it in plastic for the hunting season. The only rifle that I have seen be put out of commission in the field was a Remington 700 with a broken extractor--nothing but a piece of sheet metal. The guy had a case stick in the chamber and he smacked the bolt, the case stayed with the extractor. Also bear in mind that the Military is having problems with the rifles going bang without touching the trigger. This has been a longstanding problem with the 700. I know of one individual personally that had this issue. In a feature on TV they interviewed the designer of the 700 who came out with a new safer design to the 700 trigger but Remington didn't want to increase the cost of the rifle by a nickle (50 years ago), there was no recall because it would cost millions today to correct the problem in the millions of Remingtons produced. According to Remington 2% of the rifles will have this issue and they will correct it for $20.

All of my rifles are a bit different and have different purposes. I wouldn't hesitate to use a Remington or a Savage.....if that were my only choice. But I have my H&R 301 and the Tikka not to mention some single shots, levers and autos. I love sampler platters.

Last edited by Cookselk; 12-18-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:35 AM
Spike

Default Rifle choice?

CommonSense,
Relax!
Most of the "Savage Haters" have never shot one much less owned one.
They base their opinion on a perception of "UGLY".
Those of us who own and shoot Savage/Stevens rifles regularly seem
to believe that " Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!
P.S. If you will notice very few Savage/Stevens shooters will "DAMN"
another brand.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:15 AM
Fork Horn

savage is alot more accurate out of the box,its also easier to do a barrel swap.in my opinion anymore with remington your buying the name not quality.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:32 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by the jigger
CommonSense,
Relax!
Most of the "Savage Haters" have never shot one much less owned one.
They base their opinion on a perception of "UGLY".
Those of us who own and shoot Savage/Stevens rifles regularly seem
to believe that " Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!
P.S. If you will notice very few Savage/Stevens shooters will "DAMN"
another brand.
Hahaha no worries my friend, I think the troll that I was originally arguing with moved on to greener pastures (I hope so anyway!).

Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion, and more than welcome to hunt with whatever they want, but it is saddening to see some of the chest pounding that goes on in various gun forums, as if guns and hunting are reserved solely for those who make a certain amount of money. I have owned and used just about every major brand of rifle and I honestly did not notice a difference in performance on the bench or in the field, they all worked just fine and brought home the bacon at the end of the day, whether it be a Savage or a Browning. I'll continue to shoot Savages, Rugers, Remingtons, etc. the closed minded guys can stick to whatever whiz banger they perceive to be superior.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm gonna assume that the starter of this thread,wv bowhunter already bought the gun because this thread is over 2 years old
Old 12-19-2010, 06:34 AM
Fork Horn

LOL,I was thinking the same thing. This thread has certainly been an entertaining read(mainly due to one who seems to know much more than I apparently ever will). We are very lucly and blessed that we live in a country where we can argue about the quality of rifle companies instead of bigger issues. I have been fortunate enough to shoot many rifles from several manufactuers both domestic and foreign. In the end find one that you are comfortable with and enjoy. There are no perfect companies and luckily no real bad ones either. There is just personal choice and usually pretty good products. My one comment is that as someone who has been in the outdoor business,for better or worse,I can say that the biggest issue is Price Point. You will never find a great scope on a package rifle,and that is because Walmart,Bass Pro,ect... has told a manufacturer what they want and what the profit margin has to be. It is no reflection on the manufacturer,just a result of the demand for less expensive volume sales.

Quick Reply: rem 700 adl or savage 110

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.