Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Springfield XD 45 ACP >

Springfield XD 45 ACP

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Springfield XD 45 ACP

Old 06-30-2008, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Springfield XD 45 ACP

Hello everyone..

I bought this gun 3 months ago and love it...tell me everything you have learned about this gun....

I want to learn more about it....

Ammo choice, trigger upgrades, sites, red dot stuff, cleaning, what to watch out for...

Old 07-06-2008, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Springfield XD 45 ACP

I love it, too!
Cleaning with a bore snake and a few swabs with a cleaner like Hoppe's 9 that won't hurt the polymer lower, if you'd happen to get a little on it.
They recommend taking it completely down periodically to do a complete cleaning. I've only done this once with about 300 rounds through in 4 months.
If you reload for it, be sure you always see that the primers are fully seated and that you stick to the specs for overall length. Otherwise, cartridges out of spec can potentially cause the round to only partly seat. I only had this happen once, when I unintentionally had a primer slightly proud of the base. If that would happen, Springfield hassteps posted on how to clear a stuck cartridge. But don't tell them you're shooting reloads, that would void the warranty.
Lightly lube only the slid and ramp inside. I don't even run a oily patch through the barrel after the bore snake.

Otherwise, this auto loader shoots so sweet and accurately. I love to shot it after I shot 50 rounds of my .44 mag Ruger Redhawk with heavy loads for fall hunting practice of my backup sidearm.
I'm not sure why they started making it with the thumb safety, but I suppose that some want a safety that you have to consciously set "off" before firing than the grip and trigger switches on the previous models. Although, anytime one puts their hand around the grip and certainly put their finger on the trigger of any weapon, they should be keenly aware that they are about to fire it.

Anyway, I'm with you, this is one of my favority handguns to fire.