Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 How does Springfield get away with it >

How does Springfield get away with it

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How does Springfield get away with it

Old 02-23-2004, 10:06 AM
bigcountry

Default How does Springfield get away with it

Thier XD pistols seem like glock clones with a fancy safety. Well two safeties. I wonder how they get away with it from Glock Distributors. Or maybe they got an agreement. I mean I am all for American companies ripping off Euopean companies. But a friend took apart his XD and the barrel, guide rod and all looks very simular.

Old 02-23-2004, 10:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: How does Springfield get away with it

The XD is made in Croatia. It used to be called the HS2000 I believe. The company that makes the XD started to go under because of not marketing the gun well and not charging enough for it. Springfield bought the rights to the gun, changed the name and import it from the same Croatian company.

Glock isn't the only polymer framed pistol out there though. There are numerous companies that offer a polymer framed hand gun. I don't know if they have any kind of agreement with Glock or not though. All a company has to do is change one tiny thing about a patented part or entire gun and that new part with the tiny change now becomes and entirely new patentable part.
Old 02-23-2004, 10:32 AM

Smith and Wesson had a little scuffle over their polymer pistol about 10 years back.

(because it was just like a Glock)
Old 02-23-2004, 11:27 AM

I have the Smith and Wesson Sigma, the pistol in question. It is an EXACT replica except for the trigger. Shoots real nice like a Glock, just without the name I guess.
Old 02-23-2004, 01:58 PM

How do they get away with it? The real question is:

How do you get away with your horrible spelling?[:'(]
Old 02-23-2004, 03:06 PM
bigcountry

Peyman, do you have anything useful to add to the actual topic or about guns in general? I will be happy to hear your views on Springfield Armory XD line of pistols. Come on step up to the grown ups table. We won't hurt ya.

Old 02-23-2004, 03:27 PM

This is a Gun forum NOT A SPELLING BEE.[:@]
Old 02-23-2004, 03:37 PM
bigcountry

You know I have glocks, but I really like some features of this XD pistol. I always stood by the "no safety means no nonsense", but kinda like some of the safety features on the XD. That way you might not shoot your ankle when trying to get the gun out of your ankle holster. I forgot about them being made in Croatia. (no I am not going to take the time to look up the spelling), I read about that in this months issue of G&A.

Old 02-23-2004, 06:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

If poor spelling will get a guy kicked off of this forum then I would have been gone the first day. I have forgotten most of my schoolhousing. I have had all the clocks but never the other one you are speaking of.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:21 AM

Considering how many polymer guns are out there.......I've got a feeling that is not Glock patented.....or the patent exclusion rights.....have expired. (Not sure what international patent law is in that regard.) But it doesn't take very much difference to avoid patent infringements....especially when you are talking international laws.....as opposed to domestic patent laws.

But anyhow......I like the fact there is competition! I think it forces companies to constantly strive to improve their products. And "usually" the consumer comes out ahead, (though not always). Plus it does help keep a reasonable ceiling on prices! (All you have to do is look at the current price on pre-ban magazines to see supply-demand economics at work. Competition is good!)

Dave

Quick Reply: How does Springfield get away with it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.