Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Red Dot sights for deer shotgun >

Red Dot sights for deer shotgun

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Red Dot sights for deer shotgun

Old 01-20-2002, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Red Dot sights for deer shotgun

I have a Propoint 5 red dot scope that I love to use on my ruger 10/22 for plinking. I am thinking of using it on my deer shotgun (smoothbore w/rifled slugs). It's really a nice sight and it has 4 different size dots in addition to 11 brightness setings. Although it lacks any magnification, I can really acquire a target quickly at the range.

My Question: Do you prefer...
-Open sights
-A scope with magnification
-A red dot without magnification

Remember, I'm using rifled slugs, so I won't be shooting them that far out.

Keep 'em all in the Bull.
Old 01-20-2002, 10:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Red Dot sights for deer shotgun

Bulzeye I have a pro dot on my 10-22 and they are very quick ,I never thought about putting one on a shotgun but it should work pretty well.
Old 01-21-2002, 10:29 AM

I use a red dot on my 44 Mag. I shot a doe Friday morning in the Illinois pistol season. First one with a hand gun. My red dot does not have any magnification. I really like it. The shot was around 45 yards, and the sight did very well. I only know of 1 downside. My hunting buddy has one on his 44 also, and after 500 plus rounds, he is getting some flaking of the internal coating. I experienced this same thing with my Simmons 2X scope that used to sit on the 44. I think the recoil over many, many shots is a little much for some of these sights/scopes. I am guessing I will have the same problem with mine over time, and you may experience it as well on the slug gun. But, for the price when compared to some of the other options, replacement every four years or so does not seem that bad.
Old 01-21-2002, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

What a coincidence, I originally bought MY red dot for my 44mag S+W 629. Unfortunately I won't be hunting with it soon since the only counties in IL that allow handgun are several hours drive from up here by Chicago.

Thanks guys

Keep 'em all in the Bull.