Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 22 Hornet Rifle >

22 Hornet Rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

22 Hornet Rifle

Old 06-01-2008, 01:10 PM
Spike

Default 22 Hornet Rifle

Hi Folks,

Does anyone have firsthand experience with the accuracy of the Browning Micro Hunter in 22 Hornet or the CZ 527 American in the same caliber? I've narrowed my search down to these two, and would like to get a better sense of how well I can expect either to shoot. I read positive comments about CZ's in general, and nothing either way on the Browning, but no specifics on either.

I have looked at both at the dealer's, and prices are in the same ballpark. I guess from the hype on CZ's in general and the lack of availability of the Browning's I'm leaning toward the CZ. My reservations in going ahead with the CZ is that it's not floated or bedded while the Browning is. Triggers on both are adjustable, and by the time I pay to float the barrel on a CZ, the price will be quite a bit more than the Browning.

Accuracy is my ultimate goal, and anyone with specific experience with either rifle/caliber would be a great help.

Thank you,

Laterunner
Old 06-01-2008, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 22 Hornet Rifle

Have you been able to find a Browning?? I know two guys who are looking to order one. Neither have been able to locate one.

The 22 Hornet can be a very finicky rifle to shoot. I own and have owned several(not one of the ones you mentioned). My most accurate Hornet is a Kimber of Oregon. I owned an Enore, and a Ruger that shot horribly. I have read several articles on the Varmint Hunter's forum. Al the reviews I read on the CZ were good. Nothing stood out, but they were acceptable.

If utmost accuracy is your ultimate goal, then you might consider a different cartridge. The Hornet is not known for being a tack driver. The brass is weak in the neck, and shoulder.(thin). Tom.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:01 AM
Spike

Head, thanks for the reply and advice.

It's not so much that I'm looking for exceptional accuracy in this caliber - just adequate accuracy for prairie dogs for it's effective range. I'd like to be able to count on the gun to group in an inch-and-a-half at 175 yd off sandbags on a calm day. I'm pretty well set on the caliber, as it will be easy to see the hits on dogs, and I understand that it won't tear up a fox with the right bullets.

I have to say, I share your experience on the ruger; I just dumped one that had the same issue. I'm not really sure why they let the one I bought past their inspectors, unless they're marketing to people who just want something that willgo bang. I'm thinking, though, that after it and others change hands a few times and give a few more people first-hand experience with mediocre quality at a stiff price, the laws of supply and demand will havetheir effect. I admire your effortstrying to keep your $'s in this country wherethey belong; I strive to do the same. At this point, though,I figureI've paid enough for my education; ruger won't have to teach me twice.

Can you tell me what the fellows you mention prefer in the Browning over the CZ? You're right, the CZ is much more available. Are you able to find out from them what they have learned about the accuracy of either rifle?

Thanks again for taking the time to reply. I do appreciate it.

Laterunner
Old 06-02-2008, 05:55 AM
Spike

My friends and I have several CZ's in 22 hornet. They all shoot very well. 1/2" groups at 100 yards. If you miss a praire dog within 150 yards, it will be you, not the gun.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:36 AM

Could I suggest a .223 instead? Rifle is going to be roughly the same price. Ammo is comparable if not cheaper in price. And you get a longer range, perfect for little whistle pigs. Just my opinion.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Ivanab

My friends and I have several CZ's in 22 hornet. They all shoot very well. 1/2" groups at 100 yards. If you miss a praire dog within 150 yards, it will be you, not the gun.
Not one or two but several CZ Hornet's that shoot 1/2" 100 yard groups??

HORSEPUCKEY. Tom.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Naturally I lean toward the browning a-bolt. No matter which you choose,I would advise to have it rechambered to K hornet. It won't be near as finicky,have a marked velocity increase,usually slightly more accurate,easier to load for,and improved case life.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:59 PM

Yep my ruger 22 hornet is near impossible to handload for. I've tried almost everything with no luck and im about to give up. I don't know much about the CZs and Brownings but just dont get the Ruger 10/22 hornet.