Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.22 hornet

Old 01-03-2005, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default .22 hornet

Just got an NEF handi-rifle in the Hornet. I would like to see this caliber come back, its ten times better than a 17 HMR and not quite your full blown centerfire. What good is the 17 hmr anyway, to me its just way to small of a bullet. seems like a pelletgun on steroids. I was out looking for a gun and everywhere is the 17, its made in all kinds of brands, I wish they had them in the hornet as well. not much choice in the hornet.
What do you guys think about the hornet.
Another question , I have some wild dogs in my neighborhood, I live in the country and the dog pound wont pick them up and they are tearing up all kinds of stuff in my yard. Can I dispatch them or not.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: .22 hornet

What good is the 17 hmr anyway
I don't know, but I have never seen a Hornet put ten shots through a half inch at 100 yards. I was skeptical of the 17 HMR at first, but it grows on you. Does a wonderful job on crows too.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another question , I have some wild dogs in my neighborhood, I live in the country and the dog pound wont pick them up and they are tearing up all kinds of stuff in my yard. Can I dispatch them or not.
I love the 22-Hornet. The 22-Hornet sure makes a pound of powder last a long time.

Yes you can kill the dogs, just don't tell anyone. Shoot, Shovel & Shutup.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:17 AM
DM

I'm not that fond of the Hornet myself, if you reload it, the necks of the cases are too fragile, and are easily wrinckled...

Long ago i was hired to clean out some dog packs, i used many different cal's, includeing the 22 Hornet, and 5mm Rem. rimfire. I remember thinking i'd just rather use the 5mm, as out to 125 yards or so, it worked just as good as the Hornet, and i didn't have to reload it!!

I don't hate the round, i'd just rather have a 222 Rem. as they can be loaded down to Hornet V, or on up to be a fairly long range varmit round...

A neat trick i use to do with the Hornet is, take a fired round, put a new primer in it, and take a 22 cal. pellet, turn it upside down, and push it into the neck... WITH NO POWDER. It sure make an "easy to do" cool paper puncher that makes very little noise.

Drilling Man
Old 01-04-2005, 02:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have heard about wrecking cases on the 22 Hornet. However I have had a couple and reloaded for them and just never had any trouble with that. Shells for the Hornet are not cheap but if you load for it, its a cheap caliber to shoot. I really like the hornet and used it for deer hunting for a while. Until I found out that it was not a legal caliber in our state. Its a good little varmit caliber out to 200 yards. I am going to send in one of my NEF rifles for a Hornet barrel soon. Love those NEF's.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot lots of reloaded 22 hornet out of my Ruger 77/22 hornet ,never had any real problem reloading them.
I have shot lots of dogs, I agree don't blab
I make brush piles on them for the rabits
There is always some 4-buck dog loads with me rabit hunting
Old 01-05-2005, 01:48 PM

shoot shovel shutup

that just about it.