Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 I going to start reloading - Here is the plan. >

I going to start reloading - Here is the plan.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

I going to start reloading - Here is the plan.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I going to start reloading - Here is the plan.

Don't use an electronic scale the cheaper ones are highly affected by electrical interference. I had major problems with mine and am now using a triple beam.

Going the cheap route will only insure that you spend more later buying everthing twice.

Tom
Old 05-14-2008, 10:23 AM
Fork Horn

If you can aford it get a RCBS or Hornady starters kit it will have 90% of what you need, and they will last a life time.As far as bullet pullers go I have a RCBS and do not like the way it tightens or specialy untightens. I am getting a hornady bullet puller because it uses a cam to tighten and untighten. Caliper are a must and check weights too. Also the one shot hornady case lube is all I use and it will not effect powder/primers.

Hornady said then realy like the 140gr BTSP for deer and its working excellent on elk as well with continued good reports. H4831SC is what I will start with when I reload for my 270win. At this time the hornady ammo with 150gr spire points is working fine.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:46 PM

That kit is perfect lee makes greatsimple products for cheep which is what most people need. Just dont get lee dies.The only thing i would add right now is a tumbler because your only reloading for one cartridge right now and your probably not goning to be doing too much heavy reloading until later.Iwould recomend redding or rcbs dies stay away from lee dies and hornady. As far as bullets i would say if you can get nosler partitions or barnes tripple x to shoot well in your gun then use those bullets and nothing else.Once you decide on what bullet you buy go to the manufacturers website and look at their reloading data or get one of those reloading books thats specific to your cartridge that have reload data from all the different bullet companies. When you find your favorite bullet i would buy a whole reloading book for that bullet. Nosler has a great one.
-Good luck and if you have any questions PM me
Old 05-14-2008, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

RugerM77.270:

I would go with a RCBS Rockchucker Supreme Master Relloading Kit because it makes no sense in purchasing a reloading kit twice. If you like working with our hands, working with precision tools, and group shrinkage, you will like handloading. The best handloaders are the ones who pay attention to detail. I would recomend a connetic hammer (bullet puller).When you are dealing with .001", you are going to make mistakes. When I am working with Cartridge Overall Length (COL) I adjust the seating die .002" at a time, and it is easy to go over or under your desired COL. You could go witn micrometer precision dies, but they are expensive; a bullet puller is less expensive. Good luck.

I just noted the price of the Lee reloading kit $87.16, so I can seewhy you aregoing that route. Maybe if you do like handloading, and you step up to a RCBS Reloading Kit, you can give the Lee Kit to a kid who may be interested in handloading.