Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 conceal and carry pistol question >

conceal and carry pistol question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

conceal and carry pistol question

Old 04-26-2008, 10:32 AM
Spike

Default RE: conceal and carry pistol question

I have a S&W MP360 snubby revolver I carry virtually everywhere. It's chambered for .357 magnum, but I've lately been loading it with Speer Gold Dot 135 grain .38 spl +pammo. I know Speer makes a "short barrel" load optimized for these in .357, and I think also .38 spl. Might be worth looking into.

Even with .38spl in there, it's not particularly comfortable to shoot. With full power .357 magnum ammo, this gun has the most brutal recoil I've ever felt. Then again, the thing is so light you hardly notice it in your pocket (or on your belt if you go that route). For cheaper practice loads I've been using .38spl lead round nose ammo.

Go to a range and see if you feel comfortable with one of these. If it's going to be used for personal defense reasons, you need to be shooting it somewhat frequently, practice drawing it from concealment and all that fun stuff. If you can't draw and fire it quickly and accurately, it's not going to do you much good as a defensive gun. To get fast and accurate it takes practice. Defense is definitely not like some people get the hunting rifle out for the year and fire 3 shots at a target and put it back away.

Then again you probably already knew all that. Good luck with your decision.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have both for different reasons...
.38 S&W for target
.44 mag Ruger for hunting
Both great 6-shooters
Old 05-04-2008, 02:09 PM
Fork Horn

i just got done with the class, and i got to shoot a taurs in 38 special , glock 10mm and a 1911 45acp. the 45 was nice, but a little heavy for carry, the 10mm had a laser which i didn't like it was distracting, but and i was nice and light and hardly kicked, the 38 was by far the funnest to shoot didn't realy kick.
pat