Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Which handgun for my first conceal carry?? >

Which handgun for my first conceal carry??

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which handgun for my first conceal carry??

Old 04-27-2006, 01:09 AM

Default Which handgun for my first conceal carry??

I will be turning 21 soon, andam looking at buying a conceal carry handgun. I previously had my sights set on the Glock 30, but recently have second guessed myself. I've narrowed down my choices to a Glock 30 (45 ACP), Glock 27 (40 S&W), Smith and Wesson 649 (357mag/38 spec+P), or Heckler & Koch USP Compact (45 ACP or 40 S&W). How do these handguns compare for concealability (too fat to conceal, etc), reliability (I'm assuming nearly flawless), accuracy, recoil, feel, etc?

Which is better, 40 S&W or 45 ACP? The 40's tend to be slightly smaller handguns, which higher capacities. I do like the fact that the Glock has no external safeties to worry about. Does the H&K's safety create a problem during carry? I also like the S&W shrouded hammer, so it won't snag.I don't like the stainless steelthough, since the glare could give you away atnight. In short,help me decide?

Thanks
Old 04-27-2006, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Which handgun for my first conceal carry??

From the features you like,I think you would do well to check out a Kahr K40 or P9. The 40 can flip pretty good in a gun that small, so I recommended the steel framed K40 instead of the P40 (polymer). The P9 is a polymer framed 9mm that is light. Both are flatter than anything else on your current list.

Kahr also now has a new 45 ACP, and I'm sure the next few years will bring out a 45 GAP. That one should be about perfect, but for now my personal choice would be the K40.

How concealable a larger gun is depends on your build and how you intend to carry it. Leaner guys like myself, need to watch gun size pretty closely, but larger framed folks can hide a Desert Eagle.

One more hint. Don't skimp on a holster. Get a good one and wear a belt that matches the size of the slot in the holster so nothing can shift.

I'd also spring for night sights. If you ever need to draw that thing, you'll need every advantage you can get, and night sights can make a big difference. If possible, get the dot-over-bar, or dot-over-dotconfiguration. They are the easiest to line up quickly.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:13 PM
Banned

I have a glock .45 acp with a lasermax. Love it. Carry guns go through a lot of wear and a glock shows none and is known for always firing. CriminalsFEAR the black gun
Old 04-27-2006, 03:57 PM
Fork Horn

I have 3 gun recomendations:

1) The Sig 229 would be a good choice for several reasons. One you can get it in .40 S&W with a 12 round capacity. You mentioned not having an external safety on the Glock. The Sig doesn't either, it has a decocker lever that allows you to carry with one in the tube. The trigger is a double action/single action trigger, so when you go to fire, the double action kicks in off the first shot and then automatically goes to single action after the first round is fired.

2) My second suggestion would be a Springfield Armory XD in .45ACP. The gun is awesome! It feels great in the hands and is incredibly light weight. The trigger is very nice and smooth, as well as the slide. It is a striker fired gun like the glock, so there is no hammer to snag. The gun is almost exactly like the glock, except for one difference. It has a safety in the pistol grip, making it much safer for concealed carry. The greatest thing about the XD, is that it holds 14 rounds of .45ACP and is still light!

3) My third choice for a CC pistol would be a 1911. The gun is a classic pistol in .45 ACP with a 7 shot capacity. It is much thinner, which makes it easier to conceal, so it doesn't "print". It is a tad heavier for wearing on your wasteband, but the added weight makes recoil much less felt. There are many different 1911 manufacturers out there, but the one I will be going with will be the Springfield Armory 1911 Mil-Spec in .45 ACP. The gun shoots very accurately and is really comfortable. Last week at the range, I shot 7 shots in under a minute with all the holes touching at 7 yards

Looking back at your post, I didn't really pick any of your choices, sorry about that. Many many people have chosen the three I've recommended including agencies like SWAT, FBI, and others out there. I will carry a 1911 for if, and God forbid when my life is in danger. Good luck in making your decision, and I hope you never NEED it.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:32 PM
Spike

Before I took my concealed class I purchased a Glock 26. My instructor was an ex Green Beret weapons expert and he didn't think to highly of them for many reasons. One reason was because of no safety and the rest were technical wear and tear issues. I never purchased a concealed holster but in my opinion the gun was still too big to conceal comfortably and I'm6'1" at 215lbs. I eventually bought me a Kel-Tec 32 which fitsnice in thefront or back pocket and allowsseven shots. It doesn't pack a lot ofpower but Ibelieve it could get the job donealmost as well as the 9mm would have done. I've since sold my26 and upgraded to aGlock 22 .40 for more knock down power but it usuallyjust stays in my truck while the smaller 32 stays on me. To each his own but since theGlock was so much thicker I found myself to not carrying it as muchas I do the 32.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:45 PM

ORIGINAL: dh4stretch3
1) The Sig 229 would be a good choice for several reasons. One you can get it in .40 S&W with a 12 round capacity. You mentioned not having an external safety on the Glock. The Sig doesn't either, it has a decocker lever that allows you to carry with one in the tube. The trigger is a double action/single action trigger, so when you go to fire, the double action kicks in off the first shot and then automatically goes to single action after the first round is fired.
I actually was considering the Sig 229. I have heardgood things about its accuracy and feel, plus the 12 rounds is really nice. But I decided to leave it off the list, since I posted a similar question on ar15.com, and most people recommended the H&K USP over it, saying it was superior. I guess it'll be easier to make my decision with these guns in front of me, and testing the feel and holster combos myself.

Thanks for all the advice and please keep it coming.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would recommend the Smith 649 or the same gun in an airweight model (not sure what the current number is),and for me, that type handgun has been most easily concealable without having to alter my clothing. I have tried a Sig P228, Glock 17, Glock 23, and a Colt 1911, but Ihaven't found any as concealable as my Smith M38 or M637. I was talking to my brother in lawwho is a cop today about this very topic. A 5 shot revolver wouldn't be my first choice for a "combat" handgun, but for concealed carry/strictly personal protection, concealability is more important than capacity or fire power. For truck carry/fire power, I carry either my Glock 17 or 23 and a Colt AR and/or Benelli shotgun.

Truthfully, any gun that you are comfortable andconfident with will make you a good concealed carry weapon. Good luck with your choice.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

For a c/c gun I personally feel the S&W is the best option.A revolver will not jam, misfeed or stovepipe. Not to mention the 38 special is a nice mild round with very little muzzle flash and won't destroy your ears if needed in an emergency.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:00 PM

No offense, but if I ever needed a gun for personal protection I couldn't care less if it makes my ears bleed or bruises my thumb so bad I can't write for a week. Having said that, I also think that carrying a gun you can't shoot accurately is completely pointless. The only advice I can give, if the gun is to actually be used for self protection, is get the largest caliber that you can shoot accurately...I'd even place it before the 'right' model because there are so many good C/C pistols out there.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

The best gun for a gunfight is the one you have with you at the time.

While many of the suggestions here are excellent guns inregards toaccuracy, reliability, ergonomics, and capacity, some are just too big for most folks to conceal comfortably day after day. A gun that is too big or heavy will evantually wear on your patience, and after a fewmonths or years, it may persuade you to leave it at home or in the car. An ordinary citizen wearing a gun allday under casual clothinghas very different needs thana Law Enforcement professional who wears his piece on a duty belt or in a dropped thigh holster. Even an off-duty cop may choose to carry a different weapon for different reasons since his sworn duty may compel him to engage in a firefight that another armed citizen may be able to avoid.

I'm in favor of the biggest caliber, the most capacity, the best reliability, and accuracy, but CC is always a compromise that demands trade-offs, and the person carrying the gun needs to find the best balance for themselves.

Many, many people who have carried for years have gradually decreased the sizeof their carry gun to a J-frame sized 5-shotrevolver in 38 or 357, or stick with a subcompact sized auto that's flatter than most of it's competition.

I'd feel really stupid if the one time in my life I needed a gun was a day I got lazy and didn't have it. It would be heartbreaking if that same incident resulted in the injury or death of someone I cared about. Forgiving myself may be a long time in coming.

Quick Reply: Which handgun for my first conceal carry??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.