Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Skeet gun... >

Skeet gun...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Skeet gun...

Old 03-20-2008, 09:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Skeet gun...

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

ORIGINAL: jeepkid

I personally feel that the Beretta semi-auto's feel terrible, they feel bulky and heavy and just kinda awkward. The Benelli SuperSport and Cordoba both are awesome in terms of feel and balance. I shoot a 1100 that works great if its kept clean. I also have a Browning Citori Lighting Sporting Clays gun, but I never seemed to shoot it as well as the 1100, so I went back to the 1100 for clays.
I had the opposite experience. I started out shooting sporting clays with an 11-87, and hit a kind of scoring plateau. I switched to a Browning Citori Special Sporting Clays, and my scores instantly improved by about 20%...
I grew up shooting an 870 and then went to the 1100 so I was really used to that style. Also the Browning was just to short for me. My Dad now uses it and his scores have jumped big time, it fits him perfect. I really like the Browning, its an awesome gun, just doesn't quite fit me right.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gunnermhr

You won't see too many people shooting any sizable amount of Skeet or Trap with a semi auto. If you want to play with the big boys it's gonna cost you about $1,000 and believe me that is cheap when your talking about this sport. Your best bet is to get an over under. I imagine you can still find a decent used Browning for around $1k. If your talking about going out back with a hand thrower thats a different story. Heck any shot gun with a modified choke will do maybe even an improved cylinder

A gent I worked with at the gun shop in SC was a three time state champion skeet shooter. All he ever shot was a competition grade Remington 1100. Never slowed him down any.

The issue with a used browning or other O/U in that price range, is that while they are good guns, they are entry level O/Us. A browning in that price range would likely be a standard citori, which is a field gun. Its an extremely good field gun, but its sort of like playing hockey in a pair of fine Italian wingtip shoes... there is a tool for every job.

Most of the hardcore skeet shooters do in all honestly shoot O/Us, unless they are sponsored by a company trying to sell semi-autos. Clays grade over unders start at about $2500 new and go 'up'.... way 'up'. Most semi autos (sporting grade) are about half that, but you can pay as much as $1900 for a new one if you try really hard.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:35 PM
Fork Horn

No argument SwampCollie. I love the 1100 and there is nothing wrong with them. Heck I have 2. I shot trap fora few years and never used them for that. I have seen some mighty fine shooters using semi auto's. I sold a Pigion Grade 101 a couple years back for$1200. I know it's been a couple years ago but I'm certain you can still find a good deal on agood used "real"Skeet gun or Trap gun if your not in a hurry. I would still lean towards the over under though in something other than a field grade.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:49 PM

go for a 20 gauge shotgun in Remington semi auto really good gun
Old 03-22-2008, 12:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd stay away from a 20 gauge, that handicaps a beginner in skeet/trap.

I personally shoot my M1 Super 90 with a 24" barrel, and its all covered in camo. I get some funny looks from guys shooting expensive single shots/doubles, but at the end of the day when I've beat the majority of them, their "snickering" stops.

It all amounts to what gun fits you the best. Go to the gunshop, and have him get out a bunch of shotguns and tell him what you want/expect out of a gun, and go from there. Benelli's feel the best in my hands, and a Beretta or Remington, etc might feel best to you.

Heck, baaack in the day when I was a youngin I won the state jr division shooting a Browning BPS Stalker.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gunnermhr

No argument SwampCollie. I love the 1100 and there is nothing wrong with them. Heck I have 2. I shot trap for a few years and never used them for that. I have seen some mighty fine shooters using semi auto's. I sold a Pigion Grade 101 a couple years back for $1200. I know it's been a couple years ago but I'm certain you can still find a good deal on a good used "real" Skeet gun or Trap gun if your not in a hurry. I would still lean towards the over under though in something other than a field grade.

Having two barrels, with the option of two different chokes can be a great aid in sporting clays, and even in skeet if you really wanted to pick nits. I think the greatest benefit (and most shooting ranges will agree) is that an OU is able to be broken, so that everyone may clearly see it is unloaded and action open. The added safety of that is a very big plus.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:35 PM

Thanks for all the help guys! It helped alot. I will let you know what I decide on after I go to the gun shop!