Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Pump Gun for Skeet? >

Pump Gun for Skeet?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Pump Gun for Skeet?

Old 12-27-2007, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Pump Gun for Skeet?

I recently shot skeet for the first time and LOVED it. I used a VERY old winchester pump gun (not sure of age, but I think its an 1897) and had a blast. I liked it much better than the Winchester O/U that I used as well, and have decided that I would like to look into getting a12 gauge pumpfor shooting clays. I know its not he best type of gun for the task, but it was fun as heck and itswhat I want.

Can anybody recommend a reasonably low priced pump shotgun with a decently long barrel?

Remington 870
Winchester Model 12
Benelli Nova
Ithaca Model 37
Mossberg 500

Any Ideas? Whats your gun of choice?
Old 12-27-2007, 03:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Pump Gun for Skeet?

Remington 870
Winchester Model 12
Benelli Nova
Ithaca Model 37
Mossberg 500

If you can find a low cost Model 12 then by all means use one of them. What is a decently long barrel?
Old 12-27-2007, 03:17 PM

benelli nova pump love it to death carry gun of choice in the woods shoots good smooth and 30 inch barrle

.243win
Old 12-27-2007, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

to be honest im not certain. I haveoften shot avery shortbarrel'd remington 870 that is used for home protection and the barrel on the old Winchester looked to be atleast 6-8 inches longer. I have very limited knowledgewith regards to shotgun dimensions, so unfortunately I am not able to descern between short, long, average, etc barrels.

I just remember the winchester pump being considerablylonger with a much smaller pattern at 20 yards which I assume is more beneficial for skeet. However, I have only shot skeet once and therefore my knowledge on the subject matteris limited.

Thanx for the input
Old 12-27-2007, 03:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have a Remington tournament skeet in 12 gauge and it has a 26" barrel with Briley tubes..I would think that is the barrel length you will work the best. Out of your list the shotguns I would prefer would be the Model 12, Model 37 and the 870 would be a tossup. When you get further along you will probably end up with an o/u or an auto. I actually prefer autos over anything but a nice swinging o/u is a thing of beauty as well.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

mossberg 500 i just bought one it is my second and i love them and walamrt hasthem for around 200
ORIGINAL: Gangly

I recently shot skeet for the first time and LOVED it. I used a VERY old winchester pump gun (not sure of age, but I think its an 1897) and had a blast. I liked it much better than the Winchester O/U that I used as well, and have decided that I would like to look into getting a12 gauge pumpfor shooting clays. I know its not he best type of gun for the task, but it was fun as heck and itswhat I want.

Can anybody recommend a reasonably low priced pump shotgun with a decently long barrel?

Remington 870
Winchester Model 12
Benelli Nova
Ithaca Model 37
Mossberg 500

Any Ideas? Whats your gun of choice?
Old 12-27-2007, 08:52 PM

Skeet ishard to shoot with a pump, trap is not.
I would have to use a dbl barrel or semi-auto for skeet.

The least expensive trap gun I have ever owned, and still do, is a rem 870 TB with a 30" Mod. trap barrel. If you canfind a used one, you would be very pleased.

I had a Win.mod 12 trap, a great gun, 3 times the price of an 870. It seems all mod. 12's were tight choked, a great gun from 27 yds. and beyond. At 16 yds. it would make little black smoke rings out of targets.I think it was 30" full choke.

My all time favorite was a Perazzi O/U, a true thing of beauty.