Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 What cartridge is this ? >

What cartridge is this ?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What cartridge is this ?

Old 03-19-2008, 12:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What cartridge is this ?

also has a Berdan primer
Old 03-19-2008, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

7.5 MAS
Old 03-19-2008, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: longrifle1000

Iwould be willing to bet big bucks that is a clip of 6.5X52 Mannlicher-Carcano.
I agree, Oswald's gun.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Based on the 2 pictures (the one in this thread anfd the other link supplied)it must be Carcano 6.5
BTW, statjunk,the long bullets are precisely why they were such great penetrators....long for caliber helped them have the freight train effect. The long tips were not susceptible to damage as they were FMJ.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

......Hope he wasn't inTexas, and didn't have a friend named "Lee"......
Old 03-20-2008, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd go with the 6.5 carcano as well- the mannlicher enbloc clip is a dead giveaway.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: statjunk

Found this in a buddy's Dad's ammo rack. What caliber is it and what is the name of the cartridge? Any history there? What is it primarily used for and why is it so long?

Thanks

Tom

Tom, just off the top of my head at first glance, those are 6.5X52mm Italian Carcano rounds, in the Mannlicher-style en-bloc clip that is inserted into the M/C rifle. After feeding the last round, the clip drops out of a hole in the bottom of the magazine that projects down in front of the trigger guard.

Sadly, the same round that Oswald used to kill JFK.....

This is one of Oswald's 6.5X52mm rounds,made in USA by Western Cartridge..... Until I read the Warren Report, I was totally unaware that we had ever made that ammo in the U.S.(As far as I know, there were never any Mannlicher rifles that used en-bloc clips chambered for the 7X57mm mauser cartridge. So you won't find that round in such a clip.)

Prior to the 1905 German adoption of the 154-grain "Spitz-Geschoss" (pointed bullet), ALL modern smokeless-powder militarycartridges adopted by the U.S. and European powers used long, heavy-for-caliber roundnose bullets like this Italian one. Ours were the 220-grainers in both the .30/40 Krag and .30/'03 Springfield rounds.(ALL were deep-penetrating FMJ bullets)

Old 03-21-2008, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

What is it primarily used for and why is it so long?
It was late 19th century military round through WWII. The length of the 6.5mm bullets gave them a huge sectional density which gave them penetration that rivals and sometimes exceeds that of dangerous game bullets.

The funny thing about the length of the bullet is what has given Carcanos the mistaken reputation of being inaccurate. Earlier carcano rifles used gain-twist rifling (rifling gets progressively faster in twist rate from the breech to muzzle) and sometimes were cut down to shorter lengths to make carbines and no doubt cut down by bubba to make a deer rifle. When the faster twist portion of the barrel was cut off, the resulting rifle could no longer stabilize the long projectile leading to very poor accuracy. After Kennedy was shot with a Carcano, conspiracy wackos picked up on the idea of the 'inaccurate carcano' and the 'clunky carcano'- neither of which is true to those who have shot them.

FWIW, Finland purchased a large number of carcanos on 7.35 cal, and to put to bed the notion that carcanos were inaccurate, Finland had a much higher accuracy standard than the United States, Great Britain, or Germany at the time for acceptance of rifles for miliatry service.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

FWIW, Finland purchased a large number of carcanos on 7.35 cal, and to put to bed the notion that carcanos were inaccurate, Finland had a much higher accuracy standard than the United States, Great Britain, or Germany at the time for acceptance of rifles for miliatry service.
So did the Japanese. They had theirs made in Italy as modified barreled actions only, and sent to Japan for completion and stocking. The Japanses contract weapons were chambered for the 6.5X50 Arisaka round, and were fitted with a Mauser-type five-round staggered box magazine instead of the unsatisfactory Mannlicher type. These rifles were designated by the Japanese as the "Type I", probably because of their Italian origin.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: Briman

After Kennedy was shot with a Carcano, conspiracy wackos picked up on the idea of the 'inaccurate carcano' and the 'clunky carcano'- neither of which is true to those who have shot them.
I have shot one and accuracy was OK but it has to be one of the loudest rifles I have ever shot.