Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Elk Cartridge

Old 10-01-2003, 09:49 AM

Default Elk Cartridge

I just bought a Savage .30-06 and I was curious what you guys that was the best cartridge to go after elk with. I' ve been told to expect a long shot, and hopefully a big rack.
Old 10-01-2003, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Elk Cartridge

Schemy,
I tell you what,when most pepole tell you expect a long shot it is usally around 300 yds.
I have hunted elk with the 30-06 and it is capable of alot farther,placed with good conditions.If I were you I would cram it full of 180 gr noslers and never look back.
Sight it in 2 in. high at a hundred,grab a rest hold on top of the back and savor that horn soup.
Old 10-01-2003, 12:22 PM
Typical Buck

I' ll go one step farther than ol' Barebottom. Stoke ' er up with 58.5 grains of Reloader 19, WW Brass, an' a WLR primer. If it won' t shoot unner an' inch, I' ll buy all yer reloads from ya at 50 cent each! Don' t fergit to crimp with a Lee factory crimper.
Old 10-01-2003, 02:58 PM

I am going to call you two the Jacks. When you hear from one you always hear from the other. Thanks for the advice. Beaver, I don' t have the resources to load any of my own cartridges right now, so I am going to try out what ole' bare butt has to say. Thanks again.
Old 10-01-2003, 03:06 PM
Typical Buck

Fine. I allays use Nosler 180 in my ' 06. As for any of you 243 elk hunters lurkin' in the shadows out there, take a gander at the bull picture I posted. He took two Noslers, one blowin' the top 1/3 of his heart clean off. He still managed to travel 30 yards straight up hill, and took a full 4 minutes to die, tryin' to git up all the way. I recovered the heart partition on the off side unner the skin, havin' passed thru the offside shoulder. The back end was fully intact an' the front was smashed like a dime in front of it. Elks is tuff critters, deservin' of a proper bullet an' a good shot.
Old 10-01-2003, 03:16 PM

Beaver,
That was sure a nce bull. Was he a 6x6. I couldn' t tell too good on the picture. Sure hope I can bring down a bull like that. My uncle said he has been seeing a 7X7 where we are going to hunt. Tried to get him during archery, but he was just too wiley. Well only 10 more days and I will be chasing him.
Old 10-01-2003, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I realy don' t know why Beaver Jack was looking at my butt,each to his own.[]

That is a nice bull BJ,he' ll look good in the freezer.

Schemy,I have had the best luck with Federal Preimum brand.Not the HE they don' t fly right sometimes.
Old 10-01-2003, 10:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go with a 180 gr. Barnes X, Nosler Partition, Swift A-Frame, Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, or Win. Fail Safe. Good luck.
Old 10-02-2003, 04:17 PM

The question on the .30-06 was all for not. I went to pick it up from the gun shop and it was a piece of junk. The guy I talked to had assured me that it was in great shape. Well that wasn' t true. Good thing I didn' t put any money down on it.

So now I am heading out into the wilderness with my uncle' s 270 or his 7mm. I am thinking about going with the 7mm, but not sure, have to see how they shoot.
Old 10-02-2003, 11:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Go with the 7 mm, thats what i use and works fine on elk. You can go with 160 gr part., failsafe or bear claw for factory ammo. A number of others two that will work in the 160-175gr versions.

If you do go with the 270 win look no further than 150 nosler or 140 failsafe...both bullets perform well on elk in our party, as 2 guys shoot 270' s on guy is a nosler fan the other isn' t

Quick Reply: Elk Cartridge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.