Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Gun Sling

Old 02-28-2008, 03:08 PM

Default Gun Sling

Very simple question. I'm 15 and going to start gun hunting this fall and I'm getting a shotgun, and I was wondering about using a sling as a support. I will be in a treestand, so theres a good chance that I will be shooting off-hand. I understand there are 2 types of slings. The basic one that can be wrapped around your arm just as it is and the one that you take off and put on your bicep. I was thinking the second one, the most accurate of the 2, would work best becuase it would be least in the way. When the deer is coming I don't want to have to wrap my arm in the sling and if I'm sitting there like that waiting it could get uncomfortable. It seems that if I attack the sling to my arm then I will be in good shape to just rest my gun on my lap and have more mobility. For starters I want to know if any of you guys use slings and which would be best for me.

Main points are I am shooting off-hand and will have time to set up. I can only be shooting around 125 yards with the shotgun. I'm not going to go any farther than that.

Thanks for any help.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Gun Sling

Using a sling while standing can steady your shooting a bit, but not enough that a 'cuff sling' is warranted. By 'cuff sling' I mean the kind that you tighten around your arm- I've use both a G.I. M1 canvas sling and a leather 1907 sling for high power shooting (prone, sitting), but don't see using them as a cuff sling for hunting. When you tighten it down around your arm, you are often times cutting off the circulation to your arm and you usually need a heavy leather glove to keep the sling from tearing up your supporting hand- not such a good thing if you are sitting in a treestand

If you want to try using a sling to support your rifle while standing, hold the rifle in your right hand around the wrist of the wrifle stock and let the sling (attached to both ends of the rifle) dangle freely. put your left hand into the gap between the sling and rifle, then around the bottom of the sling and around until you can grip the forearm of the rifle (Its hard to explain, but if you lead the insertion of your arm with your elbow, it will be much easier). The sling should have a bit of tension but not enough to pull the butstock away from your shoulder. Try this at the range to see if this works for you- there is some controversy as to whether or not a sling helps with standing shooting, I find that it helps.

Old 02-28-2008, 04:23 PM

Well it seems that a hasty would be harder to get into while situated in a treestand. If I had a deliberate I could always tighten if secretly if I needed to without a chance of spooking the deer. I just feel that I also might be doing some shooting while sitting in the treestand and then if the deliberate isn't tight enough, besides not being able to use it if I didn't see the deer coming it could be something else to move around or make noise to alert a deer. if I was using a hasty I wouldn't have this problem and when I'm holding the rifle I could just hold up the sling so it didn't wave or hit anything (in case of not being able to use it). I'm also sure that I can keep a deliberate tight enough to not move on my arm, even if I can't use it while shooting but not so loose that it slips if I don't have the opportunity to tighten it.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:05 PM
Typical Buck

Well, I use a cuff sling for hunting, but I don't think I would use one on a shotgun at 125 yards. Tactical Specialties makes the best cuff sling I've seen. It is really great for 300+ yard prone shooting. The buckle makes it great for a quick attach when antelope hunting.

For deer hunting in a stand, I think I would use a hasty sling fro 1.25" webbing. When your barrel is pointed up, the tension is off, but once the gun is pointed, the tension can be quickly applied.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think you'll be better served to have some type of rest or shooting rail on your stand as it will be a LOT steadier as opposed to trying to use only sling and shooting offhand.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with stalkingbear...125 yards off hand is further than most guys want to take at a deer...Almost all my hunting is done from a climbing stand, I use APIs and you can buy a shooting rail to go with the stand...If using a lock on type stand you can still use a mono pod type rest and use base for stability...When I used to use a Cadillac type climber, I would use screw in steps on the tree for a rest...Point is, good shot always try to use some type of rest for stability...
Old 03-11-2008, 12:32 PM

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

I agree with stalkingbear...125 yards off hand is further than most guys want to take at a deer...Almost all my hunting is done from a climbing stand, I use APIs and you can buy a shooting rail to go with the stand...If using a lock on type stand you can still use a mono pod type rest and use base for stability...When I used to use a Cadillac type climber, I would use screw in steps on the tree for a rest...Point is, good shot always try to use some type of rest for stability...
Good advice. Never shoot without a rest if one is available.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shooting off hand is tough. I find that a sling does help me steady. I really need to practice more off hand shooting.

I think the mono restsuggestion is the best one yet. Anything 50 yards or less shoot off hand. Greater than 50 yards get out the mono rest.

Tom
Old 03-11-2008, 01:52 PM
Typical Buck

A tree stand hook and a looped rope located above your head can make a good rest for slug gun ranges. I usethem sometimes in stands where I can see less than 150yds. Not the most solid, good enough for a short shots though. Beats offhand or slung by a mile for me. I wont take(or cant always make)a true offhand shot past 70 yds or so. A crude rest can make anyone a much better shot. I have a couple "tree house" stands on power line cuts, 400-500 yds each way. I have a dang near a benchrest shooters outfit in those.

Try shooting alot offhand(standing), you might be alot better than I am, but I was shocked by how bad I really was! Sitting or prone is much better, but its hard to get situated in a tree.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:22 PM
Fork Horn

there's a good chance you'll be able to brace yourself in the stand, in a way that will offer more stability than the amount a sling could provide. use the sling too, but if the stand doesn't already help support your shot, do like the others said and add a rail or rest of some sort. I use a flexible belt style sling that wraps around my wrist easily, but get more out of using the stand's rail for support.