Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Porting VS Muzzle Break >

Porting VS Muzzle Break

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Porting VS Muzzle Break

Old 02-17-2008, 12:40 PM

Default Porting VS Muzzle Break

What are the Advantages and disadvantages of porting vs a muzzle break?
Thanks
~Deric
Old 02-17-2008, 02:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Porting VS Muzzle Break

Porting does almost nothing for recoil. Porting is simply to lessen muzzle jump so you can reaquire the target quicker.

A brake softens the recoil but also creates huge amounts of noise levels and muzzle blast.

If you can't shoot a particular gun with out a muzzle brake then you are shooting too much cartridge.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Agreed with bigbulls. My .270 has porting, and it shoots liek a dream, its a BAR semi auto, which I hear semi autos dont have the accuracy of bolts, which I tend to agree, though the .270 is known for accuracy, the accuracy I get out of my 270 auto with porting is crazy.In a sense porting may make you think the gun kicks less due to less muzzle rise. May increase accuracy, I believe should make it louder though not sure of this one, certainly a brake increases noise.

I read a muzzle brake actually reduces "felt recoil" though real recoil, and that felt by the scope is always more if not twice, since the gun kicks when it goes off and once those gasses hit the brake, the try and make the gun go the other direction kinda like pushing someone then pulling em right back. I have a brake on my abolt, though nowadays I won't be buying a brake again. I'd consider porting, though I feel a good rifle needs neither. And I haven't found a rifle in my adulthood that the kick scares me, so.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:02 PM
Typical Buck

With a break you can open and shut it, I use mine open on the range and closed when hunting, for the noise more than anything. You might ask, why bother? If I want to shoot a box of shells at the range I can enjoy it more with less recoil, and on my rifle it reduces about 40% felt recoil. Hunting I shoot once.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

With a break you can open and shut it,
Very few muzzle brakes can be turned on and off.The one used by savage is the only one that I know of.Even so,turning off the brake can effect the point of impact,so the gun must be sighted in with the brake off,or removed,if you intend to hunt with the brake off.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:07 PM

Since im a kid im not as "beastly" as you guys when it comes to handling recoil and it just makes me a more confident shooter when i have a muzzle break. So porting doesnt do anything for recoil and it just reduces muzzle jump?
Thanks for the help
~Deric
Old 02-17-2008, 06:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

What cartridge are you shooting that it hurts bad enough to use a brake?
Old 02-17-2008, 06:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Since im a kid im not as "beastly" as you guys when it comes to handling recoil and it just makes me a more confident shooter when i have a muzzle break.
The extreme noise from a braked rifle can cause a flinch as easily as recoil can.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

A lotof the time the muzzle blast and noise actually makes people flinch more thanthe kick does.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:51 PM

Heavy 25-06 loads kicked alot more than i thought it would and when im shooting a gun with a muzzle break i dont really notice the difference in noise. (i know its significantly louder though) too me all guns are loud ... just in different ways
~Deric

Quick Reply: Porting VS Muzzle Break

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.