Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Porting VS Muzzle Break >

Porting VS Muzzle Break

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Porting VS Muzzle Break

Old 02-17-2008, 08:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Porting VS Muzzle Break

Heavy 25-06 loads kicked alot more than i thought it would and when im shooting a gun with a muzzle break i dont really notice the difference in noise.
Keep shooting a braked rifle without hearing protection,and you won't hear anything anymore.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:12 PM

Why would i shoot a braked rifle without hearing protection?
Old 02-17-2008, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bobfm10350

Since im a kid im not as "beastly" as you guys when it comes to handling recoil and it just makes me a more confident shooter when i have a muzzle break. So porting doesnt do anything for recoil and it just reduces muzzle jump?
Thanks for the help
~Deric

Positive know thyself attitudes like yours usually lead to great accuracy and great success... I applaud you for going about it the right way!
Old 02-17-2008, 09:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

With a break you can open and shut it,
Very few muzzle brakes can be turned on and off.The one used by savage is the only one that I know of.Even so,turning off the brake can effect the point of impact,so the gun must be sighted in with the brake off,or removed,if you intend to hunt with the brake off.
+1.....
Old 02-17-2008, 09:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Why would i shoot a braked rifle without hearing protection?
Do you always wear hearing protection when you hunt?
Old 02-17-2008, 10:21 PM
Typical Buck

[quote]Why would i shoot a braked rifle without hearing protection? [/qoute]

Thequestion needs to be ....why would I shoot any rifle without hearing protection regardless whether it's on the range or in the field.

The opponents of brakes seem to have the attitude that folks that shoot brake equipped rifles just go around shooting them without hearing protection. Personally, Iwas taught as a very young lad to always shoot with hearing protection whether it's a .22 or whatever. You are fooling yourself if you think that only a rifle shot with brake causes hearing damage, when the fact is any firearm shot without hearing protection can cause permenant hearing loss.

The extreme noise from a braked rifle can cause a flinch as easily as recoil can
The exteme noise from an un-braked rifle can cause a flinch as easily as recoil can also

It's really not that difficult to to use hearing protection regardless of when and where you are at.
[align=right]
[/align]
Old 02-17-2008, 11:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's really not that difficult to to use hearing protection regardless of when and where you are at.
Using hearing protection can be a handicap when hunting.And in some cases,you don't have time to put on hearing protection before making a shot.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:03 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

With a break you can open and shut it,
Very few muzzle brakes can be turned on and off.The one used by savage is the only one that I know of.Even so,turning off the brake can effect the point of impact,so the gun must be sighted in with the brake off,or removed,if you intend to hunt with the brake off.
That's the first I've heard that one. My 7 mag doesn't need a brake, It was on the gun when I got it. I haven't seen any defference inpoint of impactwith the brake open or shut. Interesting.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

That's the first I've heard that one.
Then you obviously don't have a lot of experience with muzzle brakes.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:38 AM
Fork Horn

A muzzle break without a doubt will reduce recoil. You'll see porting more on shotguns especially for guys that shoot Trap and Skeet a lot to aid in muzzle jump. Trap and Skeet gunshave a higher comb and hit you in the face a lot harder.

I can't imagine anyone shooting a rifle with a break on without wearing hearing protection. If you use something like the electronic Peltor muffs I see them being more of aid in hunting than a handicap. They actually amplfy sound like the Walker Game Ear and once you make the shot it mutes all audio for a split second. As far as POI change I cant say that I have noticed a change. I like to shoot in at the range with the brake screwed on and the take it off for Hunting. Of course the guys sitting beside you at the range arn't going to be happy at all!

Quick Reply: Porting VS Muzzle Break

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.