Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Porting VS Muzzle Break >

Porting VS Muzzle Break

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Porting VS Muzzle Break

Old 02-18-2008, 09:40 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Porting VS Muzzle Break

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

That's the first I've heard that one.
Then you obviously don't have a lot of experience with muzzle brakes.
Yup, Your the expert I'm just a dummy. LOL
Old 02-18-2008, 10:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have enough experience with muzzle brakes to know that they can change the point of impact.Apparently you don't.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bobfm10350

What are the Advantages and disadvantages of porting vs a muzzle break?
Thanks
~Deric
A muzzle BRAKE is just what the name implies-a brake. It directs powder gases to the rear to reducerecoil velocity, thus reducing recoil energy as well. A barrel port directs the powder gases UP in order to dampen muzzle rise. IF the ports are cut so that the gases are directed rearward as well, in order to reduce reoil, it is a version of the BRAKE, even if the rear-facing ports are cut into the barrel rather than into a screw-on piece of tubing.......

When a bullet exits the muzzle, one hears the release of the high-pressure gas and the supersonic crack of the bullet. A muzzle brake cannot create any sound in addition to this. What it does is redirect the powder gases (muzzle blast)to the rear, right into the ears of bystanders and the shooter. The effect is that the report APPEARS to be louder to the shooter than it would if the blast was directed away from the shooter toward the target. There is no additional noise, however!! The higher the pressure of the cartridge in use, the worse this muzzle blast effect is!
Old 02-18-2008, 10:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Since im a kid im not as "beastly" as you guys when it comes to handling recoil and it just makes me a more confident shooter when i have a muzzle break.
The extreme noise from a braked rifle can cause a flinch as easily as recoil can.
When I started shooting high-powered rifles, I was very intimidated when I saw someone shoot one. I thought the recoil would really be punishing, and I developed a flinch right away! I soon discovered though that it was the NOISE AND MUZZLE BLAST that was intimidating, NOT the recoil. After that, my shooting imporoved immensely.....
Old 02-18-2008, 10:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

"My 7 mag doesn't need a brake" Neither does mine, nor does my .375 H&H. But I have a 7.5-pound Ruger No. 1 .45/70 that could use one with my "bearload", anyway, and I have a .416 Rigby that has one on it. I don't know what that rifle'd feel like if I shot it w/o the brake. I haven't been successful in just unscrewing the thing, so I've left it alone..Wouldn't want to damage it, then find out I need the thing!
Old 02-18-2008, 11:31 AM
Typical Buck

I have enough experience with muzzle brakes to know that they can change the point of impact.Apparently you don't.
I don't recall where I stated I knew everything about them. I have one rifle with the brake on it, so that's my experence. I could care less that I apparently don't know as much as you on this. Whats up with people that have to try to be little someone that is just tring to learn? Didn't get enough attention when you was growing up?. I come on here to learn. Un like some, I'll never know it all. Give it a rest.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:45 AM
Typical Buck

Edited
Old 02-18-2008, 11:50 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: glockman55

It could affect it if when closed gases applied pressure on the bullet that wouldn't be applied if the brake were open. I could see it happening if where the ports are, there are slight escutcheons caused by the ports when closed. Meaning if the inside of the end of the barrel isn't flat and smooth it can cause air disturbances while the bullet is exiting the barrel. The smoother the interior of the barrel is when closed the less chance for disruption.

Other than that I could see a change in harmonics at the end of the barrel.
This is another opinion from some where else. Not Mine, makes sence.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have one rifle with the brake on it, so that's my experence.
Exactly as I suspected.I posted;

Even so,turning off the brake can effect the point of impact,so the gun must be sighted in with the brake off,or removed,if you intend to hunt with the brake off.
Notice the words "can effect the point of impact",I didn't say that it would effect the point of impact with all rifles.I have fired several rifles with muzzle brakes,and have owned two myself.In some cases the brake effects the point of impact,and in other cases it does not.I made the post to make people aware that brakes can effect the point of impact,as many people don't know this.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I put a brake on my 300RUM, and it did effect the point of impact. It made it more consistent, because I lost my flinch. I plan on putting a brake on my 375 H&H before I start shooting it for the same reason. I dissagree with the statement, if you have to put a brake on it , your shooting to much gun. I can handle the recoil, I just don't like it. Nothing wrong with a brake in my opinion!

Quick Reply: Porting VS Muzzle Break

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.