Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Porting VS Muzzle Break >

Porting VS Muzzle Break

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Porting VS Muzzle Break

Old 02-18-2008, 01:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Porting VS Muzzle Break

I can handle the recoil, I just don't like it.
By your own admission you flinched when firing the 300RUM.I don't consider that "handling the recoil".

put a brake on my 300RUM, and it did effect the point of impact. It made it more consistent, because I lost my flinch.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

I can handle the recoil, I just don't like it.
By your own admission you flinched when firing the 300RUM.I don't consider that "handling the recoil".

put a brake on my 300RUM, and it did effect the point of impact. It made it more consistent, because I lost my flinch.
I have to agree with glockman55, you know everything smarta$$. People can't post their opinions without you being an arsehole. You remind me of a teenager, and you crack me up. When you don't see me respond, it's because I'm to busy laughing at you!

Old 02-18-2008, 03:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

The use of brake to tame recoil due to shootibility is a personal judgement call. I personally will not use a brake rifle due to the increased noise directed at the shooter and those nearby.For me if I can't shoot it unbraked I simply don't. Again strictly my personal judgement/opinion.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

When you don't see me respond, it's because I'm to busy laughing at you!
You should be laughing at yourself for contradicting your own statements in your posts.First you say that you can handle the recoil,then you say that it makes you flinch.You aren't doing yourself any favors with your choice of words.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

When you don't see me respond, it's because I'm to busy laughing at you!
You should be laughing at yourself for contradicting your own statements in your posts.First you say that you can handle the recoil,then you say that it makes you flinch.You aren't doing yourself any favors with your choice of words.
I come on here to have fun and to see if I can't learn a little something. You come on here to pick people apart and to show off what you think you know. I don't need to do myself any favors by watching my words, because I'm not out to impress people like you are. You just go ahead and keep it up, I know this is the most important thing in your life, so enjoy it however you like! Smarta$$!
Old 02-18-2008, 04:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I come on here to have fun and to see if I can't learn a little something. You come on here to pick people apart and to show off what you think you know.
I come here to share information,learn about new products that I haven't used myself,and perhaps pass on some experience that might help others.However I do find posts such as your amusing when you claim to be able to handle recoil,yet admit that it cause you to flinch.You obviously don't realize just how ridiculous that sounds to myself,and to other people.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:37 PM

Wow guys this is getting intense may i sugest that we all take it down a notch and just calm down. Theres no need to get all mad at eachother we're all here to learn; everyone has different opinions and every one is just as helpful as the next.
Thanks
-Deric
Old 02-18-2008, 08:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Colorado Luckydog

I put a brake on my 300RUM, and it did effect the point of impact. It made it more consistent, because I lost my flinch. I plan on putting a brake on my 375 H&H before I start shooting it for the same reason. I dissagree with the statement, if you have to put a brake on it , your shooting to much gun. I can handle the recoil, I just don't like it. Nothing wrong with a brake in my opinion!
+1

They are very useful sometimes. I have one on my 7mm Rem Mag, it didn't kick much before, but now its a joy to shoot. And you should wear hearing protection whether your shooting a breaked gun or not, so I don't really see the compliant on noise...
Old 02-18-2008, 09:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

And you should wear hearing protection whether your shooting a breaked gun or not, so I don't really see the compliant on noise...
On the range I agree 100% however in the field I don't wear any hearing protection. Since my rifles aren't breaked the noise isn't sent back rearward so the likelyhood of a single shot in a unconfined space damaging my hearing is significantly less then thatof abraked rifle. If my rifle were braked i wouldwear hearing protection always. I hunt with a guy who suffered hearing loss from 1 shot fired from his braked rifle while moose hunting (his brother who was nearby also suffered hearing loss). Unfortunately for both these gentlemen the loss was not temp. either!
Old 02-19-2008, 06:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

I never installed a brake yet. I can "handle" my 7.5-pound .45/70 with a load that generates over 2200 FPS with a 400-grain bullet, but I don't LIKE to! I have considered a brake for that rifle. But I am not sure just how much recoil I'd lose, because the majority of that recoil comes from the weight of the bullet, not the jet effect of the gases at the muzzle. I have a .416 Rigby that had a brake on it when I bought it, and I have left it there. But it makes the rifle less handy, for sure. Don't know what it'd feel like without the brake!