Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 affordable ammo [lol] >

affordable ammo [lol]

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

affordable ammo [lol]

Old 02-15-2008, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: affordable ammo [lol]

gte a job with a company that makes federal bullets
Old 02-15-2008, 03:36 PM
Spike

Ammo Man sells 30-06 for $0.65 delivered for 500 rds. www.ammoman.com

other places Grafs www.grafs.com
J&G Sales www.jgsales.com
Old 02-15-2008, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

i got the bug years ago.it will cost you quite a bit to get started to do it right.you have to get all the tools,different powders, cases,bullets,table,storage. the lee single caliber kit which i started on is a good start but if your doing quantity forget about it. the ammo companies are catching on. if you reload premium bullets you might save about 5$ on a box. im not talking about spitzers and corelokts. since i like the noslers and barnes it almost not worth to reload unless your building a specific load for ultimate accuracy for the gun your shooting because the price is too close for me to justify. the only round i love to do anymore is the 44mag. time for a second job.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Reloading is an economy of scale. If you only shoot 100 rounds of rifle a year, and a case or so of shotgun shells, then if you are over the age of 40 you will die before you recoup your overhead costs (assuming you buy your equipment... I was given all of my shotgun shell equipment and bought most of my rifle stuff new).

Lead shot is running from $40-$65/25# bag right now. Primers are about 6 cents, wads are 500 for $10. If you frequent higher end sporting clays courses, you have an unlimited supply of Winchester AAs (I have about 20 cases worth in the attic... waiting for lead to come back down again...and its on the way acctually). The more you shoot, the more you save. But if you reload more and shoot more, you can end up getting to shoot more for the same price you were paying anyway... minus the time it takes you to reload. But you do learn a lot by rolling your own.

Reloading rifle ammo strictly for hunting to save money is a fools endeavor. Hunters in general do not shoot enough to really EVER come close to breaking even. Now, you can get in my opinion a vastly superior product, and often if you shoot oddball or uncommon calibers (up until recent the 7mm-08 with TSX bullets, but they still only load 140s) than it is a great way to get more out of one firearm. And you can almost always find something that will outshoot factory ammo. But its a money pit. If you shoot a lot recreationally, than once again, its a scale economy for you.

Either way, I overwhelmingly recommend it. Its fun, instructive and satisfying.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:02 AM

Several years back when I was shooting in an indoor bullseye league,Iwas reloading 38sp and 357mag rounds for justa little over a Penny apiece and that was about the price of a primer back then and I was casting my own bullets.Granted they were target loads with small powder charges but I was shooting my center fire guns for less than it cost to shoot my .22 guns.The start-up cost to get reloading equipment and bullet casting stuff will be the higher part of reloading but will be worth while in the long run.With reloading , you can better tailor your ammo to your gun because of the more choices of different bullets and powders that are available to you along with different powder charges in the cases
Old 02-16-2008, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just got into reloading.254.00 for RCBS Rockchucker set up,58.00 for both 30-30,30-06 dies,Tumbler 62.99,2 shell holders 3.99 each..under 400.00 for me to get started, plus powder,bullets,primers...
I shoot wolf with my AR's but that will change now that Iam reloading,the only prob is I still have around 4000 rounds of .223 left [:@]......