Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Affordable .204

Old 02-09-2008, 06:50 PM
Typical Buck

Default Affordable .204

[/align]
[blockquote]I have a CZ 527 American in .223. I am looking for a 'second gun'. I love my CZ but I think it is a little pricey for a gun I plan on loaning out a lot. I need a good starting point for a .204 bolt action rifle. I have a scope sitting here just waiting for a decent rifle to put it on. Back ground info...... I have several people I want to hunt ground hogs and coyote with me. Most of them don't own a small bore rifle. Most of these peole are bowhunting buddies. A couple of them just can't afford to go out and buy a new gun. I thought ;if I had another gun just laying around they would be O.K. with using it. You folks picking up what I am putting down?

[/align][/blockquote]
Old 02-09-2008, 08:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Affordable .204

When I think affordable, I think Savage. When I think shoots very well for a stock gun, I also think savage.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:33 AM
Typical Buck

hey standsleeper steven model 200 for a bolt action or savage model 110 ,I just bought on of these last week in 243cal,almost new for $150 and it suprised me,it will shoot as good as my remingtons,and my ruger and the trigger is easily adjustable,and for a little less you can get a new england firearms single shot they have decent triggers dont know if they are adjustable,I had one of these in 223 that on a still day with 45grain bullets you could get some 1/2inch 3shot groupsat 100yards and I dont have but one other gun that is capable of that I thought it was luck the first time I shot the gun but after letting the barrel cool down I did it again,so you might give a look at these 3 models the savages are capable of 1 inch groups maybe better with some work and fine tuning the NEF is probably capable right out of the box,but it's a single shot and I dont know what you're looking for.hope this helps.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:27 PM
Typical Buck

[/align]
[blockquote]Coyote#68, I looked into the Savage/Stevens rifles. It looks like Stevens doesn't make a .204. They do make a 22-250 though. I'm going to look at some this week. Thanks for the info. Like I said before; I love my CZ but it is a little to pricey for a loaner gun.[/blockquote]
Old 02-10-2008, 04:47 PM
Typical Buck

Hey standsleeper I agree about that CZ,I have a 452 american in 22lr and I wouldn't lone it out either,these are the best crafted guns available for a common price and they are accurate and nice to look at,savage or stevens will be the cheapest bolt action that you can buy new and they are good basic dependable guns,and most come with a synthetic stock not beautiful walnut like the CZ,it's hard to scratch plastic.Not to say that you'r friends would scratch your gun but it's easy to do on gloss finished wood.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

For cheap you can't beat a NEF/Handi rifle in .204. For accurate the Stevens 200 in .223 (not available in .204).

Personally I think your friends are taking advantage of youand need to get off their axx and buy their own daxn rifle but that just me.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:08 PM
Typical Buck

SKB, nobody has asked me to buy another gun. I am just getting into predator hunting myself. I have a few friends that I would like to involve in my new found interest. My brother in-law is just getting started in his married life. My neighbor is putting his daughter through college. My nephew is a young man who made some bad choices financially.[2 out of 3 aint bad.] Most of the people I hunt with have rifles but these three don't and are in no position to buy one. I just thought they would be more willing to go if I had an extra riflejust sitting around. I am in no way obligated to buy one, I just wanted to repay the favor to some folks that have helped me out in the past. Thanks again for the info folks.

[/align]
Old 02-18-2008, 06:11 PM
Typical Buck

[/align]
[blockquote]I found it. I just put a gun on lay- away at Gander Mountain. Stats- Savage Model 16 , Stainless 24" barrel and action, Scope and sling come with it, synthetic stock,$450.00. I know the scope leaves something to be desired, but it will work for a couple of years. Simmons Eight Point scopes aren't the best but I will make due for a while. 3-9 x 40 for those who were curious. Do you guys think I got a good deal?

P.S. Stainless +synthetic+ cheap scope= perfect loaner gun. I think?

[/align][/blockquote]
Old 02-18-2008, 06:31 PM

That 8 point may surprise you. I had one on my muzzleloader for 3 seasons till I bought a new one (muzzleloader) and got a stainless scope to match it. The 8 point still holds zero,and isaround here somewhere waiting for another gun to go on.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:35 PM
Typical Buck

Hey standsleeper, What cal is it? the synthetic stock is good, you know let it get wet.Is it bolt action? ....Nothing like the smell of a new gun!!

Quick Reply: Affordable .204

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.