Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 NATIONAL WEAR YOUR FIREARM PROUDLY DAY!!!! >

NATIONAL WEAR YOUR FIREARM PROUDLY DAY!!!!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

NATIONAL WEAR YOUR FIREARM PROUDLY DAY!!!!

Old 02-14-2008, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default NATIONAL WEAR YOUR FIREARM PROUDLY DAY!!!!

The self defense handgun post got me thinking. Do any of the rest of you carry open? I do from time to time, but only for short periods, like into a store and out.I would prefer to carry open a lot more, and it's not trouble from the bad guys that keeps me from doing it. It's worrying about trouble from store owners, people on the streets and attention from law enforcement. I wish we could pick a day and every legal gun owner would show up wearing there firearm in the open. Boy that would send a message to the bad guys! NATIONAL WEAR YOUR FIREARM PROUDLY DAY!!!!
Old 02-14-2008, 09:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Open Carry?

I have open carried too a few times, just going to and from the gun range. There's too many people out there whomightwig out and call 911 because they see you honestly, abiding my the law and 2nd amendment, openly carrying a handgun on your hip.

My brother-in-law open carries all the time. Well, he has to... He'sa LEO! On duty, off duty, my B-I-L packs heat. [8D]

Old 02-14-2008, 09:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

. oops... dupe post.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wish I could, and what did i recently post? more gun violence in IL at NIU! I saw many postings wanted to band guns etc....saying how if this gunman couldn't get a gun, he wouldn't shoot up the place. What if an educated student had a concealed weapon and could stop it now! does us no good if guns are concealed to carry yet not allowed in schools, where most of these crims are happening, or at least alot of them are!

I'd be more apt to carry concealed than open, though I'd take either if I could, they say how people are scared of guns, thats why we need to socialize/educate people about them so they aren't scared. Law abiding citizens don't point guns/loaded or unloaded at people, no reason to fear, if someones pointing a gun at you, fear! I just wouldn't want to draw attention, so concealed legally I'd rather have. Though a lil old west I think could serve us well!
Old 02-14-2008, 09:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never told the hitter what was coming playing college ball, and I never tipped my hand at cards.... I prefer to carry concealed for the same reason.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

I wish I could, and what did i recently post? more gun violence in IL at NIU! I saw many postings wanted to band guns etc....saying how if this gunman couldn't get a gun, he wouldn't shoot up the place. What if an educated student had a concealed weapon and could stop it now! does us no good if guns are concealed to carry yet not allowed in schools, where most of these crims are happening, or at least alot of them are!
As Gerald Massengil, former head of VA state police and now the state liason into the investigation of the VT shootings put it... more handguns on a college campus, especially in the hands of students is NOT the answer due to "the temperence and passion of youth."

Which is a most articulate way of saying that a 21 year old kid may at times be a bit of a loose cannon. I tend to be inclined to agree with him.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:38 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

As Gerald Massengil, former head of VA state police and now the state liason into the investigation of the VT shootings put it... more handguns on a college campus, especially in the hands of students is NOT the answer due to "the temperence and passion of youth."

Which is a most articulate way of saying that a 21 year old kid may at times be a bit of a loose cannon. I tend to be inclined to agree with him.
I disagree with that to some extent anyhow. If the state allows licensing at 21 (or another arbitrary age), and allows someone to get a license, they should be allowed to carry anywhere, except courthouses, jails, etc. In a secured area (metal detector and guards), they should allow for a secure place you can check and retrieve your weapon(s) if you have to do business in such a place. Beyond that, I don't think limitations are the key.

Think about it, this kid snapped at a school where guns aren't allowed. Places where guns are illegal are plain and simple "criminal empowerment zones" or "free fire zones" for people intent on causing damage or harm to others.

As for me, I carry concealed, although technically Michigan is an open carry state. I don't want some moron to call the cops to hassle me for no reason other than I legally have a gun on my hip. Much easier just to get the permit and keep the piece covered up as best I can.

Of course it also means a slightly slower drawstroke, and the holsters aren't quite as comfortable (IWB vs OWB).
Old 02-14-2008, 10:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

If an adult, ie college student is a loose cannon, and goes off, hey, another school shooting, going to happen either way, I know in AZ you have to take a weekend course to get your concealed permit, and with this comes the responsibility of knowing taking a life in a rage etc...is murder and you're going away, i know people joke about going off and shooting someone if they had a gun at the time, as an adult you have to know yourself and know the crime and not be in that situation. if youre a rage a holic, don't get a concealed permit, if you have mental problems, you won't be issued a permit either! and seriously now youre saying college student's aren't adults? well if theyre 18+ they are! and nowadays they want to send 14yo to adult court/prisons, so hey, and in IL, not sure other states you need to be 21+ to get a pistol. 18+ for a long gun. So these aren't 18yo with pistols.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:41 PM

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

I know many college-aged individuals who are more mature and level headed than older adults. It's a matter of personality and self control, not age. Besides, if one "loose cannon" did go off, there would be others who were better tempered to put him down if concealed carry was legal and other students were taking advantage of the freedom. Denying individuals the right to defend themselves because of a stereotype is dispicable.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think, if you have to be in a place where carry is not legal, then they should provide you protection. If they don't they should be held accountable and should be open to a law suit.

Quick Reply: NATIONAL WEAR YOUR FIREARM PROUDLY DAY!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.