Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Zeiss conquest vs Leupold VX-III >

Zeiss conquest vs Leupold VX-III

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Zeiss conquest vs Leupold VX-III

Old 02-17-2003, 06:10 PM

Default RE: Zeiss conquest vs Leupold VX-III

I can' t answer that question from experience on my part but I would try the IOR Valdada.These fall under $1000 US.From what I' ve heard and seen on optics forums the IOR Valdada are the best scope for the buck under $1000 and probably what I would compare against all the others.Over $1000 the Schmidt & Bender and Swarovski seem to be the best.Stubblejumper probably has more experience with the $1000 level scopes.My studing and comparing has been in the $400-600 range.Hope that helps you some.

woods
Old 02-17-2003, 09:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Fisherprice1-I was so impressed with the swarovski a-line 3x10x42 that I bought one for each of my hunting rifles.They are extremely clear and bright and are light and compact as well.Since they are a 1" scope all standard rings can be used to mount them.Cabelas lists them for around $740.
Old 02-18-2003, 07:00 AM

Stubble,I purposely avoided talking about the 1" A-Lines as that leaf spring vs coil spring on 30mm keeps coming up on various threads.I assume you don' t have any POI problems with the leaf spring arrangement?I don' t know from experience and thats why I' m asking.Not sure what to believe as there is so much scope bias on the forums that without using them I really don' t know what to believe.Some guys swear by the A-Lines and others bad mouth them.I notice on the web site they talk about the coil spring system but not the leaf spring.I trust and value your opinion on this(i don' t trust too many)and would ask you whats your experience been on this?Is there any truth to this arguement that the coil spring set-up is superior to the single leaf?It kept me from considering one last time I compared scopes.I see where Leupold went to a double leaf arrangement on some of theirs.Also found a source for $659 on the 3x10x42 A-Line scope.

woods
Old 02-18-2003, 09:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Woodseye -My rifles averaged 1/2" groups with leupolds, ziesses and the A-lines.Point of impact has always been very consistant with all of the scopes.My hunting rifles are 7mmstw' s and 300ultramags so the scopes are exposed to some recoil.In all respects all brands were reliable but the a-lines are the clearest and brightest of the bunch and that is why I choose them for hunting.I would not hunt with any scope that I did not totally trust.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:58 PM

I' m getting into the disussion a bit later here. I post on many other forums as " Buzz" so, some of you may have seen my postings before. I have 4 Vari X III' s and a Conquest. The Conquest is definately brighter and clearer than any of the Vari X III' s I have. It was actually cheaper than the 3.5 x 10 Vari X III I was thinking about too.

To really see the difference, go to a store that allows you to go outside and look though them at dusk. That' s a good way to evaluate optics when you are shopping. Most mid to higher quality scopes look very clear and bright in a well lit store. It ' s not until you go outside that you will see the differences. I can see targets clearly wit h the Conquest right at dark whereas the Leupold has lost the target.
Old 02-20-2003, 08:58 AM

Agree with Buzz completely,lower light periods are what separates the good from the best in optics.

woods
Old 02-22-2003, 08:51 AM

Anybody have any experience with the Kahles 3.5x10x50? It is in the same price range as the Conquest and Leupold III.