Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Zeiss Conquest vs. Leupold VX-III >

Zeiss Conquest vs. Leupold VX-III

Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Zeiss Conquest vs. Leupold VX-III

Old 02-06-2003, 01:11 PM
Typical Buck

Default Zeiss Conquest vs. Leupold VX-III

I'm torn between these 2 scopes. I have an old 4X leu. that has been spectacular for about 15 yrs. It's time to replace it with either the 3-9X40 Zeiss or 3.5-10X40 leupold VX-III. No one in Calgary carries the Zeiss so I'd have to order it from Cabelas. I have seen the Leuopld and like it, but have always been told Zeiss is the "Premier" scope to get. Obviously it's alot cheaper than the rest of their line up so something must be lacking in quality. I'm sceptical about buying before trying. Anyone used the new Zeiss Conquests? I would appreciate the comments, thx.
Old 02-06-2003, 01:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Zeiss Conquest vs. Leupold VX-III

JD, I recently looked through the zeiss a guy order through cabela's. To be 100% honest I so no difference form Conquest, Varix III and Burris Sign. Series that I have on 2 of my rifles. I would have no problems buying/referring any one of these 3 scopes. I was in the same pickle this year, I bought a new 7 rem mag and was set on putting a another Varix III on the top, but was told about the burris and zeiss. I couldn't look through the Zeiss, but was able to get my hands on a Burris and opted for it over the Loopy. I am tickled pink with the scope. Had I looked through the Zeiss, it would be a tough choice. Probably would have still ended up with the Burris, due to availablity, local guy and deal. I would say either of your choices would be excellent and will provide satisfaction.

Old 02-06-2003, 01:53 PM
Typical Buck

I recently bought some Burris binocs. and wasn't really pleased with the quality after some semi-hard hunting trips. They just didn't stand up to the weather and conditions very well. I guess I shouldn't base my opinion on that, but I just feel the Leupold optics are better for real cold weather, now if I need to know if the Zeiss Conq. are any good. Thanks for the comments....
Old 02-06-2003, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

JD, I purchased a new scope this year and ended up with the Leupold. I had looked at the Zeiss, Kahles and the Leupold. I wasn't able to see much difference, but that was looking thru them at the store under fluorescent lights. Before and if you do order from Cabelas, did you figure out the exchange and duty because they do sell the Zeiss in Winnipeg at www.sirmailorder.com . I didn't look at there wed site but they had the address on the catalogue...I'm surprised that Calgary doesn't have stores that cary Zeiss because on the Thanksgiving long weekend we drove to Calgary and I was impressed with the size of three sporting good stores, but I wasn't looking for scopes at the time.
Old 02-07-2003, 09:32 AM
Typical Buck

Trailer, I checked it out already and it's quite a bit cheaper than SIR, even with shipping & exchange. Only wholesale sells Zeiss in Calgary but they don't carry the Conquest line (just the higher end). Most of the time it's impossible to get decent service from them, they seem hell bent on talking to "huniting buddies" than helping paying customers. Not always, but on the last 2 occasions I have waited for over 15 minutes at the counter only to stare at the scopes through the counter. The frustration finally caught up with me and I figured I would rather give my business to someone who wants it. It looks like not many people are using the Conquest scope, I would like to hear at least one good (or bad) comment about it. Thanks for the heads up though....JDinAB
Old 02-07-2003, 12:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

JD, you should post this in the gun forum. More action and i know a number of guys have the Conquest.

Old 02-07-2003, 04:04 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks....I'll give it a shot.
Old 02-09-2003, 02:24 PM

I just did quite an in depth comparison of the Leupold Vari X lll in 3.5x10x40 VS the Zeiss Conquest 3.5x10x44.Bought one of each and really gave them a head to head comparison.I was a confirmed Leupold man as Stubblejumper will tell you.The Zeiss was brighter at full daylight and also dusk and dawn.The Zeiss had better clarity and defination than the Leupold.The constant eye relief of the Zeiss was better than the changing Leupold eye relief.You could see the power ring and change powers without lifting your head on the Zeiss while it was hidden on the Leupold.The finish on the Zeiss is tougher and appears thicker and less easily scratched than the Leupold.The adjustment on the Zeiss is the Euro style that quick adjusts like binos while the Leupold has a lock ring and takes lowering the scope and much turning and fiddling to adjust.The crosshairs are much easier to see in the Zeiss at low light periods and seemed more distinct.They both offer a lifetime transferable warranty and are both serviced here in the states with quick turnaround.Zeiss has a toll free phone number for service though.The German lenses are superior in the Zeiss.Both have excellant names and resale value and the two scopes are not more than a twenty dollar bill different in price here in the states.I own both Leupold and Zeiss and haven't turned on Leupold but the Zeiss is a little more for the money and I tend to prefer them at this point.I've made all these observations from the stand point of owning both and being able to compare anytime I want in any light conditions.Hope this helps as I'm not married to either scope and try not to be biased in any way.Just an honest comparison from a deer hunter who likes low light preformance.

woods

GIVE GOD THE GLORY <><
Old 02-09-2003, 09:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

BTW a 44 will give you about 1% more light gathering capabilities over a 40mm, so it should perform better under low light. This is not meant to take away from woodseye feedback, but rather a statement that it isn't exactly apples to apples. Not trying to stir the pot, just a observation.

Old 02-10-2003, 07:53 AM

I agree 100% it was not a perfect comparison because of the Obj size difference.I will say that the power was kept turned down to 5x so the light would be more restricted by the exit pupil diameter of the eye than the objective lens size.I have a Zeiss 3x9x40 coming so will soon be able to make ahead to head comparison with 40mm obj. size.I don't think my eyes would be able to see 1% difference but I don't know,the brightness difference was quite noticeable and several people that compared with me had no idea which was supposed to be better so I think that when all seemed to feel the Zeiss was noticeably brighter it indicated enough advantage to be noticed by all.Again I will say I'm not pro one and anti another in this case I truly like Leupolds a lot.The jury is still out on whether or not the Zeiss will hold up to harsh conditions and heavy recoil like the Leupolds have proven to do so well thru the years.I like them both and continue to buy both depending on individual circumstances.45mm is my personal limit on Obj size as I like to use low mounts to keep the cheek on the stock when sighting quickly.Thanks for the feedback Skeeter and agree with you completely,will post results when the 40mm Zeiss arrives.

woods

GIVE GOD THE GLORY <><

Quick Reply: Zeiss Conquest vs. Leupold VX-III

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.