Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Hornady SST issues?? >

Hornady SST issues??

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Hornady SST issues??

Old 02-04-2008, 10:59 AM
Spike

Default Hornady SST issues??

I have a H&R Ultra Slug hunter deluxe, and I went up to Cabela's to get some ammo, and picked a few boxes of Winchester sabots and a few Hornady. When I went to check out the guy at the counter said they had some issues with the Hornady ammo warping barrels. he said a few guys have ccome in with bulges in the barrel from that ammo. I put the Hornady back and got anotehr box of Winchester.

I have asked here before, and a few people use the Hornady SST sabot slug. has anyone had any trouble with this particular manufacturer???

I'm a little leary of using it after hearing that, but at the same time, the barrel on my gun is 1/8" thick, I cant imagine much of anythign would put a buldge in the barrel.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hornady SST issues??

he said a few guys have ccome in with bulges in the barrel from that ammo.
If that would have been the case , I’m surprised Hornady didn’t pull them all off the shelf...
Old 02-04-2008, 11:17 AM
bigcountry

I used em, no problems here. I make it a point to never take advise from counter people at bass pro or cabelas.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

When I went to check out the guy at the counter said they had some issues with the Hornady ammo warping barrels. he said a few guys have ccome in with bulges in the barrel from that ammo. I put the Hornady back and got anotehr box of Winchester.

Wow hard to believe a counter person would make a stupid claim like that
Old 02-04-2008, 01:49 PM
Typical Buck

"Wow hard to believe a counter person would make a stupid claim like that"

Not really, most of the people working in gun shops aren't all that bright. They also tend tospread rumors as the gospel.

Oops. just saw the wink.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:04 PM

You could beat your barrel against a tree and not warp it!. And I highly doubt it would bulge no matter what you shot out of it either.

I have never heard this from this ammo or any of the stuff close to it. As a matter of fact I don't hear too many bad things about the SST's.

My guess is it was someone shooting them out of a smoothbore or something, not out of a rifled barrel made to shoot sabots.

Paul
Old 02-04-2008, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the H&R Ultra Deluxe in 20ga. and use the Hornady SSTs without any problems. If there was a problem they would pull them off the shelf, but then why would it be Hornady ammo and not any others?
Old 02-04-2008, 03:37 PM

You could very easily ask Hornady. As others have said, if this were happening, Hornady would have pulled their ammo in a heartbeat. I suspect the sales clerk was an idiot messing with you.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:44 PM
Fork Horn

NOW YOU TELL ME!

Saturday, my son and I went to a Gander Mt. store in Madison, Wi.. They have built a new store and have everything marked down so they don't have to move stuff. Bullets were 30% off so we bought 9 boxes of Hornandy slugs.
I personally don't believe theres that kind of problem with those slugs.

Dan

Old 02-04-2008, 05:27 PM
Fork Horn

I had to resight my gun this year I switched from the Winchester partion gold to the Hornady SST's, I put about 20 12ga rounds threw sighting an having fun and 3 more one for each deer, all with no problems. Put about 15 rounds threw my 20ga sighting it in also with no problems. I did find these shoot higher then the winchester's. And out of my shotguns I had the best groups so far out of all the ammo I tried.