Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

issues

Old 08-21-2006, 07:46 AM
Spike

Default issues

I asked this in the technical forum, but there are more guys here, so I decided to repeat it for more suggestions.

I was so excited to receive my broadheads--125 gr Magnus snuffers.. With my new arrows (goldtip 5575 with 2" blazers), I tried a single left over Montec--unfortunately it hit high and left multiple times. Figuring the increased tip weight would help, I ordered the Magnus Snuffers (still waiting for Slick Tricks, and couldn't pass up the price on e-bay). Well, the snuffers hit 6-8 inches left. I made an adjustment of the rest to the right--this made the heads hit near the area, but was unable to group with any consistency.
I decided to paper tune based on the Easton guide. I find that it was a stiff spine reaction--so using the guide I moved the rest to the left as far as it would go--still got the stiff spine rxtn, although not as bad.
What are the next steps, as I am concerned thatthe bow is not at all in tune--should I increase tip weight and increase poundage? or should I just take it to the shop and have it professionally tuned?

Here are my specs:
Darton Avalanche
NAP Quiktune 200 dropaway rest
about 65" (maybe more)
29" draw length
29" goldtip XT 5575 arrows-
2" blazer veins

Thanks in advance

Mike
Old 08-21-2006, 09:35 AM
Spike

Default RE: issues

Well, I just read a different tuning guide. As it turns out I have to move the rest toward the riser. If you read the Easton tuning guide for stiff spine reaction (compound release shooters), it says to move the rest to the LEFT.( I didn't realize it meant looking at the bow from the target side--its confusing) I initially questioned this, but did it--Now I know I have to start again. At least I know where to start--Hopefully I'll come back with a success story.

Mike[/align]__________________

[/align]
Old 08-21-2006, 03:01 PM

Actually when using a release it's not that accurate. You move it what ever way fixes your problem, nothing is written in stone when using a release. I don't have a lot of faith in paper tuning either. I have gotten severely weak arrows to shoot bullet holes, and stiff arrows usually shoot great thru paper for me.

Have you tried adjusting your weight up or down? You can't fix a spine issue by adjusting your rest. If you have to move your rest an extreme amount in one direction or another you have another issue you need to work on. Either your spine is off or you have excessive hand torque.

I assume you meant 65 lbs or more when you listed your specs. If that is the case I show those arrows being weak for your set up at that length and tip weight. Try dropping to 60 lbs and using a 100 grn tip, or cutting those arrow to 25 inches. Which might not work too well with your set up, you would need an overdraw of some sort. Certain types of drop a way rests might get you there though. I would suggest turning the bow down though.

If you want to shoot 29 inch arrows what you really need according to my software is a .340 spined arrow, which would be 75/95's if you want to stick with gold tips.

Paul
Old 08-22-2006, 06:45 AM
Spike

Thanks Paul, I sent you a PM

Mike
Old 08-22-2006, 02:50 PM

Dude, I didn't get it, I think my inbox was full. Did you get a return message saying something like that? I think the limit is 50 and that is what I had. I just deleted most of them, so if you want to send another feel free.

Or you can email me or catch me no Yahoo messenger. biteme263 is my yahoo ID.

Paul
Old 08-22-2006, 04:31 PM
Typical Buck

Im shooting 5575 gold tip with 100 grain field points and muzzy 3 blade broadheads. I tried the blazers this yr. just to see what would happen. the field tips flew unbeliveable but whenI screwed a broadhead on, it hit to the left. sooo I got 2 arrows with 4 inch feathers and the field tips hit great and the broadheads hit great also. so I took 2 blazers and 2 feathers and adjusted so they all hit the same. Im using the muzzy drop away rest and I think what happened is once the string broke in, it changed the timing on the rest just a hair. Now everything is flying great. keep playing with it youll get it. check everything, draw weight etc. the guy at the pro shop told me that sometimes you cant get em to hit the same but if you can get em close go ahead and set sights for the broadheads.