Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Ammo for H&R Ultra Slug Hunter?? >

Ammo for H&R Ultra Slug Hunter??

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ammo for H&R Ultra Slug Hunter??

Old 01-28-2008, 07:33 PM

Default RE: Ammo for H&R Ultra Slug Hunter??

I shoot the SST's out of my Mossberg 500, loves them. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

You're on the right track...Based on your experience you look like you got it licked...

Next time you goto the range...or wherever you shoot....leave yourself some time to play and relax about what you are doing...I am married with little babies now and I know what feeling rushed is like...

Make it a fun event and leave yourself some time to relax and learn your gun...

Keep this in mind...for my gun...I never touched my scope when moving from Federal Barnes to SST's.

My buddy Bill comes to the range with 4 boxes of every name brand slug out there....

I prefer to goto the range with 3 boxes of my slug of choice...don't confuse yourself with 4 different slug manufacturers...you'll be firing slugs and ultimately confusing yourself....

My Opinion - Here's the real deal...grab 3 boxes of SST's....leave a 3 hour window to go and play....Bring a ram rod with a soft pad and run it downyour barrel after each shot. Leave a few minutes between shots...set up...squeeze gently...sip on a coke...and just learn your gun....

Squeeze ...squeeze...gently until she fires...each shot...every shot....same way...everytime....tell yourself that......when the day is over you will be happy...print this darn email chain outI wish you luck....you're going to flip that boar or Aodad on its back with this gun...send me the link to where you are hunting...I live in Michigan...you going to a ranch? Sounds awesome...Killed a few pigs with bow and my 44 mag...

Old 01-28-2008, 07:57 PM
Spike

I am going to the Double C Ranch in Texas. My dad won the hunt at a dinner in Ohio back in November. Here is the site for the ranch : http://huntingwithjeff.com

We can each take 2 boar and 1 aoudad. Although I have heard the aoudad are pretty easily spooked and it's tough to get a good shot on them. I would love a nice aoudad mount though. My dad and I are both taking our bows and guns. We want to take 1 boar with a bow, 1 with a gun, and an aoudad.

Hmmm the old shoot once and clean, eh? I have read so much about how often to clean the barrel that my head is spinning. I saw a write up from a barrel maker who has made many many champion barrels, and he claims that there is no need to clean the barrel any more than once time per 5 shots. He says that cleaning it any more than that will damage the barrel more than shooting it will. He thinks the idea behind cleaning after every shot is that it wears the barrel down quicker, which means you have to buy a new barrel sooner, which means your barrel maker gets paid more often. I dont know if that's a conspiracy theory or what, but that's all he could think of as to why people have been told to clean after every shot.

I dont know, I see both sides of the argument. This weekend I cleaned it after every 5 shots. I dont know, maybe I will start cleaning it more often.....
Old 01-28-2008, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the site...thats awesome you and dad hunting..I've hunted and killed alot with my dad....deer and boar...Cherish those memories...He is 61 now and still kills at least a doe(a year)with my H&R....he taught me how to shoot in 1986.

Interesting....I never heard that about re-cleaning...I have learned something today! I will try the 5 shot and clean method next time I am out...This cleaning thingonly worked for me....find out what works for you....We should keep in touch...email me if you ever want to shoot the breeze...you gotta send me pics from that hunt...I'm going back to Quebec in May to smack another bear....this time with my H&R or Rossi 12...and not bow...If you want a guaranteed kill on a black bear...let me know....Guaranteed are tough words...lets just say..you will have bear in front of you...!!! Cherish those memories with dad.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Riner.... from the other post...

Sight in for 100 yards and then back track to see where your gun is at 50. If you have 200 yard shots available... site in for 100. You'll find 50 yards will still be a kill when you aim mid body on a white-tail. The 7- 9 inch kill zone should still eat up your slug at 50 yards...

I keep forgetting to saythis !!![8D] Get a range finder if you do not have one....this 150 +yard thing is a gamble without a range finder...You're going to sacrifice +/- 3 inches with out one... and it could result in a bad hit...if you don't own a range finder....don't be afraid.... you'll find time to mark the animal...if you have one... than enough said...I use a 180 dollar Nikon 400 range finder....The Bushnells were shaky for me...spend the extra 30 bucks and get a nikon...