Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

H&R Ultra Slug Hunter

Old 03-23-2003, 07:01 PM

Default H&R Ultra Slug Hunter

I am planing to buy a Ultra Slug Hunter this summer before whitetail season gets here. I was wondering if any one knew anything about it, how it shoots, what kind of rating you would give it, and would you get a 12 or 20 gauge to hunt whitetail. Any information would be great. Thanks
Old 03-24-2003, 07:37 PM

Default RE: H&R Ultra Slug Hunter

I GIVE IT A 10!! HAD ONE NOW FOR 3 YEARS. THE BEST THING TO HAPPEN TO US SHOTGUNNERS. 3 SHOT GROUP TOUCHING AT 100YRDS OFF BENCH. ONE DOWNFALL IT IS HEAVY BUT WELL WORTH IT. I SHOOT WINCHESTER SUPER X FOSTER SLUGS. IF I HAD THE MONEY FOR SABOTS I COULD SHOOT FARTHER. NOT ALOT OF LONG SHOTS HERE. THE CHEAP SHELLS MAKE THEM JUST AS DEAD!
Old 03-25-2003, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the Ultra in the 12 gauge and I really like it. The trigger won' t compare to my rifle but it is about what you would expect from a factory gun. As with anyone that I have talked to that owns one, mine is super accurate. On a calm day if I do my part it will print groups under an inch at 100 yards using sabots. The 12 gauge carries a lot of heft but the advantage of that is it soaks up recoil too. If your goal is whitetails either gun will do the job with a well placed slug.

I think one' s style of hunting plays a part to. If your going to push deer or still hunt through the woods you would be better served with a lighter gun. If you' re going to sit and wait for the deer to come to you than the Ultra slugger will serve you well.

When I get tired of the ole Ultra Slugger because of its heft, I can use it in any number of other areas...pry bar, driving in fence posts, wagon tongue, pipe wrench extension, axle, drive shaft,.....the possibilities are almost endless.
Old 03-30-2003, 01:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

I rate it a 9.99. Bought my 12 gauge Deluxe when it first came out. (Initially it was only offered in 20 gauge). Topped it with a 4 X 32 scope and the deer all hate me, seems to give em a bad case of " heartburn" , if ya know what I mean.

The Deluxe model gets you checkered stocks and laminated camo. I think I only paid about $170.00 + tax for it, plus scope.

Now my oldest boy is ready for a deer gun and I just bought another in 20 gauge for him. I shopped high and low for the best deal and came out with a total of $212, including tax and our mandatory call to check with the state police. Not a bad deal considering that a rifled barrel for a pump or auto costs that. I' ll get him a scope just like mine in the next month or two and put in a few trips to the range this summer/fall and get him goin with it.

Shoots excellent. Trigger is fine. Squeeze gently and smoothly and it will shoot where you aim.

20 gauge will kill em just as well as a 12 gauge.

Recoil is very well contained with H & R' s excellent recoil pads!

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 03-30-2003, 01:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

One other thing though.........

I had to take the front sling swivel off mine and loop the sling around the barrel. The sling is adjusted so it can only be removed when the gun is fully broken open. The swivel was right where I put my hand up there and it was a bother.

Ain' t missed a deer with it yet!

KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK

What' s that? Me knocking on wood!
Old 03-31-2003, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve shot them both. Both are good guns.